How accurate is this guy with the nitrate info

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The beauty of posting here long enough, is eventually everything comes full circle and I can just copy/paste my comments from previous discussions. lol

IMO nitrate toxicity is a misnomer. But in a glass box, when one sees higher nitrate levels, they typically also see higher levels of overall pollution, including dissolved organic compounds, along with elevated levels of bacteria. The latter is what weakens the fishes immune system, often triggering health issues, not the nitrates. I haven't tested my tanks for nitrates in decades, no need to - I change out 80-90% of my tank water weekly, feed lightly, and stock sparingly.
My goodness...you have gotten "complacent", haven't you, lol?

The only water testing I have done in the past few years has been when setting up my outdoor stock tanks in the spring, as I needed to get a handle on hardness and pH levels in water that was largely snowmelt, i.e. rainwater...as opposed to my wellwater out of the tap. In fact, the past couple weeks have seen all my outdoor tanks taken down for the winter, and this has been the first time that I did that without testing the water.

I've also done a bit of testing on my goldfish tank...I still can't believe I am now the owner of such a thing! I've done this because it is more heavily stocked than I am normally accustomed to keeping a tank.

But, otherwise, I agree absolutely. How many times do you need to do the same test...and get the same results...before you just say "enough, it's good"?

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I love it when an internet expert twigs onto an idea and presents it as though he has personally and single-handedly discovered a Unified Field Theory, a guaranteed path to world peace and a cure for the common cold all rolled into one. I can't believe that RD. RD. didn't watch this fountain of Hidden Truth. An opportunity for enlightenment like this doesn't come along every day.

Well, okay, I guess such a moment comes along at least a few times every day on the internet, but...oh, never mind...

Now, at risk of upsetting this revolutionary applecart, let's take a look at this. I'm no mathematician; if I were I could probably boil this down to a simple equation, but I'm just gonna look at this from the Neanderthal perspective.

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that you do a 50% water change every week. Let's also assume that your bioload creates a completely stable and consistent amount of ammonia each week which equates to 10ppm of nitrate in your cycled tank. Just take a pen and paper and quickly scratch down some numbers; you will see that in this case the amount of nitrate remaining after your 50% water change will increase by a smaller and smaller amount each week. After your 10th weekly water change, you will have reached an equilibrium, at which point your tank will have 20ppm before the next change.

You will then remove half...bringing you down to 10ppm...and then your fish over the next week will produce another 10ppm, bringing you back up to 20 at the end of that week. You then take out another 50%...i.e. 10ppm...bringing you back down once again to a post-change level of 10ppm. And there you will stay ad infinitum, with your water creeping up to a level that is twice what your fish produce within a week, after which you will knock that down by half only to have the dang fish eating and pooping and respiring to bring you back up to the same level you were at the previous week...which is the same level you will be at every single week going forward.

The actual numbers here will vary depending upon how much your fish actually produce per week, and also upon what percentage you change and how often, but the same thing will hold true. You will reach an equilibrium point...not in years or months, but often within just a few weeks...and the biggest question will be what your feelings are regarding nitrate toxicity. Our hero in the video seems to think that 40ppm might be the time to start getting nervous, while others might choose higher or lower levels. I'm not even going to open that particular can of worms.

Another variable factor is the bioload in your tank...which is almost never completely stable and consistent. Fish grow...they die...they are replaced...they breed...feeding levels change slightly...plants grow and die and are pruned, changing the amount of nutrients which they utilize...water changes may be slightly inconsistent in their timing and/or their volume.

Nitrate creep is not something that continues upwards forever. It reaches a plateau level, at which it ceases to rise...if nothing else changes. But most changes conspire to increase the bioload, which then moves that plateau level higher and higher, eventually into dangerous levels. The greater the volume of your water changes, the longer it takes to plateau, but it will still do so. Our buddy in the video got something right; an occasional extra water change will help slow this accumulation.

Remember: common wisdom notwithstanding, there is no such thing as "old tank syndrome". The actual problem is old water syndrome, and the solution is simple; get rid of the old water and replace it with new water...a lot. :)

I don't see him calling himself an expert, or anyone else, and you are on the internet giving your advice as well. You seem easily triggered

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
The beauty of posting here long enough, is eventually everything comes full circle and I can just copy/paste my comments from previous discussions. lol

IMO nitrate toxicity is a misnomer. But in a glass box, when one sees higher nitrate levels, they typically also see higher levels of overall pollution, including dissolved organic compounds, along with elevated levels of bacteria. The latter is what weakens the fishes immune system, often triggering health issues, not the nitrates. I haven't tested my tanks for nitrates in decades, no need to - I change out 80-90% of my tank water weekly, feed lightly, and stock sparingly.

so Koky

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Seachem matrix is a fancy and expensive way to buy pumice.
Yes, but I wasn't about to dive into the whole 'is Matrix worth the money?' or 'what makes it different from any typical pumice' debate-- or any of the other similar debates. It wasn't a plug for Matrix, just a simple way to make the point that some media does reduce nitrates for some people. :)

Reactions: Midwater

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I don't see him calling himself an expert, or anyone else, and you are on the internet giving your advice as well. You seem easily triggered
He's posting videos on how to maintain and keep fish and aquariums...so, yeah, the implication to me is that he feels qualified to do so, and has a certain level of expertise.

You watched his video, and then came on here to ask other's opinions of it.

I came on and offered my opinion...you know, just like you asked us to...

...but you don't like my interpretation...and now I'm triggered, lol?

Next time, don't ask for opinions; just tell us up front what you want to hear and things might go more smoothly for you. :)

Reactions: dmyersWv and AR1

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
I love it when an internet expert twigs onto an idea and presents it as though he has personally and single-handedly discovered a Unified Field Theory, a guaranteed path to world peace and a cure for the common cold all rolled into one. I can't believe that RD. RD. didn't watch this fountain of Hidden Truth. An opportunity for enlightenment like this doesn't come along every day.

Well, okay, I guess such a moment comes along at least a few times every day on the internet, but...oh, never mind...

Now, at risk of upsetting this revolutionary applecart, let's take a look at this. I'm no mathematician; if I were I could probably boil this down to a simple equation, but I'm just gonna look at this from the Neanderthal perspective.

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that you do a 50% water change every week. Let's also assume that your bioload creates a completely stable and consistent amount of ammonia each week which equates to 10ppm of nitrate in your cycled tank. Just take a pen and paper and quickly scratch down some numbers; you will see that in this case the amount of nitrate remaining after your 50% water change will increase by a smaller and smaller amount each week. After your 10th weekly water change, you will have reached an equilibrium, at which point your tank will have 20ppm before the next change.

You will then remove half...bringing you down to 10ppm...and then your fish over the next week will produce another 10ppm, bringing you back up to 20 at the end of that week. You then take out another 50%...i.e. 10ppm...bringing you back down once again to a post-change level of 10ppm. And there you will stay ad infinitum, with your water creeping up to a level that is twice what your fish produce within a week, after which you will knock that down by half only to have the dang fish eating and pooping and respiring to bring you back up to the same level you were at the previous week...which is the same level you will be at every single week going forward.

The actual numbers here will vary depending upon how much your fish actually produce per week, and also upon what percentage you change and how often, but the same thing will hold true. You will reach an equilibrium point...not in years or months, but often within just a few weeks...and the biggest question will be what your feelings are regarding nitrate toxicity. Our hero in the video seems to think that 40ppm might be the time to start getting nervous, while others might choose higher or lower levels. I'm not even going to open that particular can of worms.

Another variable factor is the bioload in your tank...which is almost never completely stable and consistent. Fish grow...they die...they are replaced...they breed...feeding levels change slightly...plants grow and die and are pruned, changing the amount of nutrients which they utilize...water changes may be slightly inconsistent in their timing and/or their volume.

Nitrate creep is not something that continues upwards forever. It reaches a plateau level, at which it ceases to rise...if nothing else changes. But most changes conspire to increase the bioload, which then moves that plateau level higher and higher, eventually into dangerous levels. The greater the volume of your water changes, the longer it takes to plateau, but it will still do so. Our buddy in the video got something right; an occasional extra water change will help slow this accumulation.

Remember: common wisdom notwithstanding, there is no such thing as "old tank syndrome". The actual problem is old water syndrome, and the solution is simple; get rid of the old water and replace it with new water...a lot. :)
you got it. along with the nitrate creep up you also get gradual pH drop especially with big messy fish if you don't do water changes. With my monsters, sometimes even weekly isn't enough to overcome the pH drop so I have been using crushed coral in a filter bag in my filters for decades now and it works to give that alkalinity buffer.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
He's posting videos on how to maintain and keep fish and aquariums...so, yeah, the implication to me is that he feels qualified to do so, and has a certain level of expertise.

You watched his video, and then came on here to ask other's opinions of it.

I came on and offered my opinion...you know, just like you asked us to...

...but you don't like my interpretation...and now I'm triggered, lol?

Next time, don't ask for opinions; just tell us up front what you want to hear and things might go more smoothly for you. :)
People on youtube are not claiming to be experts, so your idea of that is wrong, they are just trying to help.

I did not bash your advice, I only called you out for talking down on a guy on youtube just trying to help.

Don't turn this into something it's not, I've been here too long and have seen all the prideful posts, gets old.

Don't talk down on me like I'm some noob to how asking opinions works.

I just don't care for your cockiness, best we ignore eachother, your come back at me, immature drabble, I'm past all that crap with people.

Your advice was fine though.

Your signature says everything about you already.

Last edited:
  • Haha

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
You sound triggered. I've not watched this video. I also didn't take other comments to be just about this video, but youtube videos in general.

Most experienced fish keepers watch a video and disregard the garbage. New people do unfortunately take some of this stuff and run with it. Not really a problem for the content maker, but can cause stress for the new person and their fish.

Last edited:

ken31cay

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I watched the video and then read everyone's posts. I was left disappointed because even though he was meticulous in the timing of his nitrate testing, he didn't present any actual evidence himself that Matrix decreases nitrates. I've seen a couple of his other videos and seems like his real focus must be the entertainment value.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
You sound triggered. I've not watched this video. I also didn't take other comments to be just about this video, but youtube videos in general.

Most experienced fish keepers watch a video and disregard the garbage. New people do unfortunately take some of this stuff and run with it. Not really a problem for the content maker, but can cause stress for the new person and their fish.

I am only triggered by someone who can't just post their advice without belittling others. Anytime someone has to trash others to make themselves feel better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store