Sand question (grain size)

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Preparing to use red garnet sand in my 300 gallon Aimara tank and honestly I'm a little confused with grain sizes mesh and mm. I want something heavier that won't stir easily.

I see Amazon with 10lb bags at .5mm-1mm grain and Grainger has 40-80 mesh grain size???

Would appreciate help from a knowledgeable person plz.

AWXZOM 10.5lb Natural South American Rainforest Sand, Aquarium red Sand, Lava Rock Soil, Succulent Sand Fish Tank Sand Aquarium Substrate Sand
https://a.co/d/0DgykUX

Garnet, 40 to 80 Mesh, Blast Media - 402F54|GAR8055 - Grainger

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
This is the grainger sand, the link didn't work for some reason

1000012431.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
Not sure how important the color of garnet sand is to you, but I have found that different grain sizes have completely different "looks". I wanted a larger, uniform grain size and ordered #36 from zoro.com. when it arrived it was the sand on the right in the pics below. I reordered a 30-60 mesh from the same place (Zoro) and got the sand on the left. Big difference! Garnet does seem a bit heavier than regular silica sand, and I haven't had any problems with it. All depends on flow though.
Garnet Media correct type.JPGGarnet Media wrong type.JPG

the big kahuna

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
new york city
Not sure how important the color of garnet sand is to you, but I have found that different grain sizes have completely different "looks". I wanted a larger, uniform grain size and ordered #36 from zoro.com. when it arrived it was the sand on the right in the pics below. I reordered a 30-60 mesh from the same place (Zoro) and got the sand on the left. Big difference! Garnet does seem a bit heavier than regular silica sand, and I haven't had any problems with it. All depends on flow though.
View attachment 1550291View attachment 1550292

Your pics came in top and bottom not left and right. That top pic red sand is exactly what I'm looking for. Is that the #36?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store