120 gallon planted tank stocking suggestions

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Sorry I am late getting back. Clouded archers are extremely easy. Hard water and keep it clean. Mine spawned when the filter cut out, but no eggs hatched. I did histrionica loaches as well, they were lots of fun. I also kept Lake Inle danios with mine. It worked great until the archers got larger and I went on vacation then the archers ate all the males. The females never got eaten. Plants are tough if you want to match. They are true freshwater, so mangroves probably aren't a match. I gave up on that and just planted what I liked, if that's your route enjoy the mangroves (aquariums are supposed to be fun). Six archers will be a nice group in there, 10 loaches will be a lot of fun. If you want Burmese (Myanmar) fish, that may or may not live right next to the archers, burmese tire track eels should not be overlooked. From a bioload standpoint it really depends on your filtration.

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
Sorry I am late getting back. Clouded archers are extremely easy. Hard water and keep it clean. Mine spawned when the filter cut out, but no eggs hatched. I did histrionica loaches as well, they were lots of fun. I also kept Lake Inle danios with mine. It worked great until the archers got larger and I went on vacation then the archers ate all the males. The females never got eaten. Plants are tough if you want to match. They are true freshwater, so mangroves probably aren't a match. I gave up on that and just planted what I liked, if that's your route enjoy the mangroves (aquariums are supposed to be fun). Six archers will be a nice group in there, 10 loaches will be a lot of fun. If you want Burmese (Myanmar) fish, that may or may not live right next to the archers, burmese tire track eels should not be overlooked. From a bioload standpoint it really depends on your filtration.
It sounds like archers will eat anything they can fit in their mouths. And that means anything half their size could be a meal!? Wild!

I'm doing the lava rock and organic soil in filter bags capped with sand approach with the idea that it will help with the bioload. I’m running a Fluval FX6 so I think I have triple the necessary filtration? Once I get plants established I’m going to add the loaches and maybe some sort of schooling fish that gets up to 3”. Once they’re all settled in I’ll add the archers.

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
Plant wise, I’m going to start looking for…
Barclaya longifolia 'red form'
Aponogeton undulatus
Hygrophilia difformis
Hygrophilia corymbosa 'siamensis'
Limnophila sessiliflora
Cryptocoryne albida 'brown'
Pogostemon helferi

No particular order, other than wanting the red form to really be a big centerpiece and maybe do two of them flanked by undulatus. I excited for it to be a jungly background with a nice open sandy area other than the two big pieces of driftwood.

Pics coming this weekend when my supplies come in.

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
Omg I didn’t think it would be this hard to find a place that sells both fish! Anyone have recommendations on where to find both botia histrionics and toxotes blythii? So far I’m only finding one or the other. Why did you make me fall in love with such a rare choice F FLA !? Lol

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Omg I didn’t think it would be this hard to find a place that sells both fish! Anyone have recommendations on where to find both botia histrionics and toxotes blythii? So far I’m only finding one or the other. Why did you make me fall in love with such a rare choice F FLA !? Lol

I know Tide and Stream Aquatics got them in a while back. They could probably get them again but might have a minimum order. The owner is good, they run a pet store/fish farm on about 7 acres. I would recommend reaching out to them. If you are in their area definitely stop by, but I think the bulk of their business is online.

Expert care for all creatures! – Tide & Stream Aquatics (tideandstreamaquatics.com)

Reactions: Reklaw84

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use both red and black mangroves in my freshwater tanks, and they do well, but intense light is the key.
I pulled mangrove propagules right from the pacific and started them and grew them up in freshwater.
Mangrove tree pod washed up
These archers aren't mine, but are very impressive., if I were to do a South Asian biotope, they'd be on my list.
IMG_7590.jpegIMG_7589.jpeg
And I might also take advantage of some of the South Asian Gobies, as tank mates.
IMG_1757.jpegIMG_1748.jpeg
Although these Awaous and the Eletoris below are American species, there are plenty if unique Asian goby types that would occupy the lower water column, away from the archers.
IMG_1438.jpeg
IMG_1434.jpegIMG_3022.jpeg
The Eleotris above, easily hit 10"

Reactions: Reklaw84

Reklaw84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2024
IMG_2878.jpegThose archers are huge! Looks like they’re one of the brackish varieties?

So.. due to the price and rarity of the archers I’m changing plans. Which isn’t shocking at all. But first, my tank update.

I have the mangroves added, I used little suction cups to attach the propagules along the back. My lighting is currently just on the tank, so I’ll have to figure out an extension so they get enough light. For now I’ve opened the window that’s next to the tank.

My tank is super cloudy because I didn’t do enough rinses on the play sand I bought. But, all the driftwood is in and the moss is already settling in to the one I want covered. I need to attach my java ferns 'windelov' and order more of them and the anubias' but I’m waiting for it to all settle first.

So, the new plan is kind of back to the original. I’m going with six electric blue acara, twelve dwarf rainbowfish, ten golden zebra loaches, and an L118 pleco or similar gold nugget. I think with the amount of hardscape and plants I should be good on water quality.

Also, I made the mistake of adding a water clearing sponge into my intake pipe and had severe air bubbling. Finally realized my mistake after cleaning out the filter and still having it happen… I need a rougher sponge in there to help with filtering…

Thanks y’all!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store