how big was the largest arowana ever found

TheOneAntKeeper

Feeder Fish
Nov 16, 2023
i have heard conflicting information on gow big arowana can get, who has the biggest one and how big was the biggest ever caught

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
i have heard the largest caught was the silver arowana 4ft in length, however, that information whether it is legitimate or not is questionable.

depends on what type of arowana you keep. jardini and asian arowanas grow an average of around 24'' in the home aquarium, with a reccomended tank size of 6ft and up.
silvers on the other hand grow much larger than asians or australian arowanas, growing 30'' or 3ft in the home aquarium if kept properly long term. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter used to keep a silver arowana which reached 36'' in length if im not mistaken, it is in one of his threads.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Assume silver. FishBase says 3ft. Fishing World Records 3ft-4ft. Our biggest were 40" and 42".

Reactions: Caveden

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Lol, yeah, ^ that's not a bot... :headshake

The biggest arowana...like the biggest specimen of likely every species...was caught by an indigenous local who then took it home and ate it. He didnt weigh it or measure it or document it in any way. He might have mentioned to a friend or neighbour "Yeah, I got a really big one yesterday..."

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Asian aro - Green, had a tape on a friends after netting it out of his tank to sell, 31” TL. Used a double pole salmon net to get it out of his aro comm tank. Also got a little wet that day. lol

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Asian aro - Green, had a tape on a friends after netting it out of his tank to sell, 31” TL. Used a double pole salmon net to get it out of his aro comm tank. Also got a little wet that day. lol
Wow, nice! Are you using the term "green" to refer to the colour of the fish? Or are you just using it as a form of salutation to address all our American members who might be reading this post and feeling a bit envious? ;)

I love schadenfreude...:devil:

• Haha
Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store