Smelly Driftwood?

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I've got a 28" piece of driftwood I've been soaking for two weeks. Everything was good until the last few days. First the water had the tannins. Then it got a bit cloudy. Now it STINKS like a swamp. The wood doesn't appear to be getting any fungus, rotting or anything it just smells bad. Is there a reason for this? I plan to change out the water.

It's still at about 60-70% buoyancy. It's called "Michigan Lake driftwood" whatever that is. Picture of the wood below.

1729000907507.png

Morti

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2024
I'm guessing as it's lake driftwood that it is pretty seasoned and not likely still fresh, so it's probably just residual organics breaking down. I would just keep up the soaking and replace the water more frequently. If you are wanting to speed things up them you can scrub it.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm guessing that the term "Michigan Lake Driftwood" is the best, most palatable, most marketable descriptive name they can come up with...and that it actually means a plain, ordinary piece of wood somebody picked up on the beach at the cottage. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I have grabbed wood like that for many years myself, but that kind of wood could have spent years (ideally) submerged before washing up on the beach ...or it might have been in the water for only a few weeks or months. If that's the case it still contains a great deal of sap and other substances that are, to put it plainly, decomposing. The fact that there is so much tannin being released points towards that conclusion.

The wood itself is mostly cellulose, which is an organic substance, but it can last many years underwater and degrades very slowly. The other stuff? Not so much. It's rotting and that's what you smell. Given enough time the smell will go away, but that doesn't happen quickly. You do plenty of water changes, so I am sure the fish won't suffer any great harm...but, really, is that fairly nondescript piece of wood worth putting up with the unpleasantness and concern?

If it were mine, I'd use it as part of a plant arrangement or some other non-aquarium project or decor, likely in a rock garden or around my backyard pond. I'd get something a little more friendly and a lot less stinky for my tank. If it were some spectacular, one-of-a-kind showpiece that I just had to use in the tank, I'd toss it in the natural pond on my land, weighted down to keep it on the bottom and with a stake marking its location...and I'd leave it there for a couple years to let nature take its course. :)

Yeah...I'm patient....:)

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I lived in Wisconsin, I collected lots of drift wood fro the shores of lake Michigan, great stuff.
It always gave off tannins for a while, and I figured that was a good thing.
If it was too bouyant I soak in over the winter in rain barrels.
1729017437849.png
Always got a little smelly, as part of the process.
1729017546364.png1729017797924.png1729018913989.png
These days I just collect it on the Pacific shore, it is sinks or floats, just toss it in either way, tannins or not.
IMG_8067.jpeg
IMG_8966.jpeg

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I
I'm guessing that the term "Michigan Lake Driftwood" is the best, most palatable, most marketable descriptive name they can come up with...and that it actually means a plain, ordinary piece of wood somebody picked up on the beach at the cottage. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, I have grabbed wood like that for many years myself, but that kind of wood could have spent years (ideally) submerged before washing up on the beach ...or it might have been in the water for only a few weeks or months. If that's the case it still contains a great deal of sap and other substances that are, to put it plainly, decomposing. The fact that there is so much tannin being released points towards that conclusion.

The wood itself is mostly cellulose, which is an organic substance, but it can last many years underwater and degrades very slowly. The other stuff? Not so much. It's rotting and that's what you smell. Given enough time the smell will go away, but that doesn't happen quickly. You do plenty of water changes, so I am sure the fish won't suffer any great harm...but, really, is that fairly nondescript piece of wood worth putting up with the unpleasantness and concern?

If it were mine, I'd use it as part of a plant arrangement or some other non-aquarium project or decor, likely in a rock garden or around my backyard pond. I'd get something a little more friendly and a lot less stinky for my tank. If it were some spectacular, one-of-a-kind showpiece that I just had to use in the tank, I'd toss it in the natural pond on my land, weighted down to keep it on the bottom and with a stake marking its location...and I'd leave it there for a couple years to let nature take its course. :)

Yeah...I'm patient....:)
It's soaking in a tall trash bin right now. Eventually I'll put it in the 225.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Update on the wood.

The smell/cloudiness went down this evening but I replaced the water anyway. After about an hour the water went slightly cloudy again but there's no odor this time. To speed up the process I used very warm water. No soft or rotted areas at all.

The piece has an odd neutral buoyancy after 2 weeks and is sinking vertically. It sits 6 inches above the water and is suspended 6 inches off the bottom of the container. I keep it covered with the purple lid under a granite brick.

Pic here:

soaking.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store