Aba Aba Knife

FBAQUATICSANDANIMALS

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2024
Hello all, I am new here but not to fish keeping.
I am on the fence about this one as I know Aba’s can be aggressive in general & more so to their own kind, but was wondering if I can house two together? Anyone ever try it with success?
My current Aba is ~22 inches and the new one would be ~18 inches.
My current one is in a 7x4x2 foot pond with a bunch of larger ‘aggressive’ cichlids & 4 albino RES. My current Aba has never had any damage & lived happily with all the other fish & turtles for many months. Hand fed scallops, catfish, tilapia, clams, crawfish, constant supply daily to feeder fish (that I breed), krill, silversides, etc. I make sure my turtles and Aba are fed well; the other cichlids mainly eat krill and feeder fish.
I have a ton of wood, rocks, blocks & PVC pipes in there as well to create protection & break up fish seeing each other so much.

Do you think it’s possible? Would be well fed daily and good amount of coverage in pond in terms of blocking direct sight across the pond.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello all, I am new here but not to fish keeping.
I am on the fence about this one as I know Aba’s can be aggressive in general & more so to their own kind, but was wondering if I can house two together? Anyone ever try it with success?
My current Aba is ~22 inches and the new one would be ~18 inches.
My current one is in a 7x4x2 foot pond with a bunch of larger ‘aggressive’ cichlids & 4 albino RES. My current Aba has never had any damage & lived happily with all the other fish & turtles for many months. Hand fed scallops, catfish, tilapia, clams, crawfish, constant supply daily to feeder fish (that I breed), krill, silversides, etc. I make sure my turtles and Aba are fed well; the other cichlids mainly eat krill and feeder fish.
I have a ton of wood, rocks, blocks & PVC pipes in there as well to create protection & break up fish seeing each other so much.

Do you think it’s possible? Would be well fed daily and good amount of coverage in pond in terms of blocking direct sight across the pond.
Welcome aboard
I personally don't have any experience with the aba aba knife but experienced members will chime in with their thoughts.

Reactions: kno4te and AR1

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Aba Aba as you know are extremely aggressive creatures by nature. Where the come from in the Nile River, they are notorious for their aggressive behavior with a plethora of anecdotal fishermen's tales to follow. In my opinion, it is extremely impressive your individual can even be housed with other fish let alone turtles. I have never heard of multiple being housed together and I hope someone is more well versed in this section of your question. I think you could try but these are fish that have a very short switch which in my opinion is similar to a Mangrove Jack or true Salminus brasiliensis which may be fine with tank mates but as the curator of these animals you must keep a close eye on the way these fish are behaving towards one another. Good luck Use your best judgement, and I hope you are successful!

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store