About walking catfish (Clarias)

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
1. Tank mates?
Do best with other fast-growing, aggressive fish or fast-moving, fast-growing species like ID sharks, Tinfoil barbs, etc.

2. Temperament?
Aggressive, especially when they reach the 12-inch mark and are kept with their own species. My two occasionally bother my jag, while my previous one used to bully/fight with my oscars and a larger arowana.

3. Are they intelligent...or are just incredibly dumb for a fish?
I wouldn't say dumb, but they're not as intelligent as cichlids. They are escape artists and can easily find their way out of tanks and walk on land. They also like to explore their tank, caves, decorations, and establish territories.

Reactions: tlindsey

Fanatic_Fish_Lunatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2024
Do best with other fast-growing, aggressive fish or fast-moving, fast-growing species like ID sharks, Tinfoil barbs, etc.

Aggressive, especially when they reach the 12-inch mark and are kept with their own species. My two occasionally bother my jag, while my previous one used to bully/fight with my oscars and a larger arowana.

I wouldn't say dumb, but they're not as intelligent as cichlids. They are escape artists and can easily find their way out of tanks and walk on land. They also like to explore their tank, caves, decorations, and establish territories.
I would even say they're faster grower, even faster than RTC, and they're even more gluttonous than RTC, IMO.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Most definitely more gluttonous and on a par with rtc for growth. Never found them particularly aggressive as such, not compared to some species anyway, but the do squabble, especially in smaller quarters. Equally they can be very friendly to each other and get on really well together. Deffinite escape artists though although not sure if this makes them intelligent or not. Certainly not dumb though as they learn behaviours, especially when food is involved. Tank mates, pretty much anything big noting that 18” is a usual size so anything too big to be eaten or not small enough to be a tempting bite.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store