40 gallon long stoking

hancotip

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2024
norway
I have a 40 gallon long tank, and its hard for me to choose the fish. I want some Nice schooling fish with some shrimp on the bottom but i also want something at the top that eats bugs that i drop in. Any one know a fish for the top?

Travis_Bickle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2015
Uk
African Butterfly fish, possibly a couple. Just make sure your schooling fish are not too small or too nippy. Saying that shrimp would not be a good idea but that goes for anything that would eat bugs generally.Maybe go with cories instead.

Another good one would be Golden Wonder Panchax, 1 Male 3 females should do fine in that size tank. Make sure you have a tight fitted lid for anything like that with no gaps bigger than a few mm.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
African Butterfly fish, possibly a couple. Just make sure your schooling fish are not too small or too nippy. Saying that shrimp would not be a good idea but that goes for anything that would eat bugs generally. Another good one would be Golden Wonder Panchax, 1 Male 3 females should do fine in that size tank.
Great suggestion adding shrimp for example like neocaridina may get picked off. I've observed the shrimp I have going to the surface occasionally. Also the schooling fish must be large enough not to eat the shrimp.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Travis_Bickle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2015
Uk
Yeah anything that is predatory and eats bugs wouldn't be the best idea with Neons. Something like Badis could work with Neons in that size tank if you want predators but they're micro predators who stick to the bottom and aren't always the easiest to feed.
You could go Neons, shrimp and other smaller non predatory fish. many to choose from.

Travis_Bickle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2015
Uk
Not sure about garra, but yes diamond tetras would work with ABF, Corys likewise. Just make sure they're not tiny when you buy, try to get them at least semi grown. Some of the smaller peaceful Gouramis would work also. Your safest bet Tetra wise with that size tank and ABF though would be Bleeding heart Tetras.

I would also say that sometime ABF can get a bit feisty with one another but personally i'd do 2, possibly 3 in that size, try to put plenty of fake plants floating at the top, the sort that you get for reptile enclosures from the pet store.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store