Anyone ever keep red-bellied piranhas with turtles?

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I have two yellow-bellied slider turtles about 6-7 in and was considering getting two red-bellied piranhas which are also 6 to 7 in.

If that doesn't work because the turtles might kill them can you keep red-bellied piranhas in a community tank such as what they 24-in fire eel and large bichirs?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That should go about as well as mixing a pack of wolves with some deer. Or a great white shark with some sea lions.

Piranhas may not be as bloodthirsty as the media makes them out to be, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t great at what they do. Red bellies are well equipped for killing. Turtle feet would be no problem for a curious or hungry piranha. The turtles could definitely damage the piranhas (but my bets are on the ones that have been known to prey on young caimans in the wild).
At 6-7 inches they may have some trouble killing the eel or bichirs, but as they grow it will get easier and easier.
When I was new, I was obsessed with having a piranha, so I got a quarter-sized one and tossed it in a community tank. By 2-3 inches it realized it could take out half of a 4-5 inch gourami in a single bite.
Piranhas are a fish for a single species tank. Anything else will be torture for the tankmates.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
That should go about as well as mixing a pack of wolves with some deer. Or a great white shark with some sea lions.

Piranhas may not be as bloodthirsty as the media makes them out to be, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t great at what they do. Red bellies are well equipped for killing. Turtle feet would be no problem for a curious or hungry piranha. The turtles could definitely damage the piranhas (but my bets are on the ones that have been known to prey on young caimans in the wild).
At 6-7 inches they may have some trouble killing the eel or bichirs, but as they grow it will get easier and easier.
When I was new, I was obsessed with having a piranha, so I got a quarter-sized one and tossed it in a community tank. By 2-3 inches it realized it could take out half of a 4-5 inch gourami in a single bite.
Piranhas are a fish for a single species tank. Anything else will be torture for the tankmates.
😂 Good analogy... thanks for confirming I'll hold off on them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store