Exotic Species for Fishing

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Bad idea. Like John mentioned, there’s no foolproof way to make sure.

My friend used to have a koi pond in a residential area, away from any natural bodies of water, which would get annual influxes of juvenile fancy goldfish. He had absolutely no clue where they came from. Living on a hill, he assumed that one of his neighbors must have a private pond of fancy goldfish, where water would somehow get into his pond. However, he’d never seen it happen. But every year, like clockwork, he netted out chubby goldfish and would take a bucketful to the petstore.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I assume those must be sterile fish? Hard to believe that they would allow them to be capable of reproduction.
Several states offer the “sterile” grass carp… yet there reproducing in most our rivers now lol 🤔. Theres been articles about how its back fired and they still sell them at hatcheries. My state stocks quite a few non natives and hybrids. Its nice they get to break their own rules then come after people like us for 1 fish in a basement.

• Wow
Reactions: jjohnwm

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Several states offer the “sterile” grass carp… yet there reproducing in most our rivers now lol 🤔. Theres been articles about how its back fired and they still sell them at hatcheries. My state stocks quite a few non natives and hybrids. Its nice they get to break their own rules then come after people like us for 1 fish in a basement.
Isn't that how all those problems started at that amusement park? This sounds like Jurassic Park!

Nature finds a way...:)

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, okay...nature...life...what he ^ said! :)

Reactions: AR1

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It doesn't matter that your pond is isolated, if indeed it even is. If breeding goes on in that pond, usually in the shallows, it has been proven that sticky fish eggs can become attached to water birds feet/legs, and transferred to other nearby waterways. As already mentioned, nature always finds a way.

You are playing a very dangerous game imo.

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
It doesn't matter that your pond is isolated, if indeed it even is. If breeding goes on in that pond, usually in the shallows, it has been proven that sticky fish eggs can become attached to water birds feet/legs, and transferred to other nearby waterways. As already mentioned, nature always finds a way.

You are playing a very dangerous game imo.
Yes I understand but I wasn’t planning on adding much of the same species maybe one or two of a species and even then I want to try to sex them before hand

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store