125G Stocking & Questions

JArtiles305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Miami
I'm contemplating a 125 for my bedroom. I'm looking to get a simple setup with interesting fish.

I was thinking of getting an Oscar, 2-3 Firemouths. I'd like to have more of something besides that but would like suggestions, maybe Bichirs or a pike? I want a setup that will impress people when they come into the room.

I'm unsure of the exact set-up but would really like an Oscar and a duo-trio of Firemouths. Of course, if they could get along.

I'll just be laying either dark brown or black sand maybe gravel, with a lot of wood with java moss/anubias/java fern attached. I'll be overfiltering with partial water changes once a week. Wondering if I should go dual canisters.

This will be my first large tank, and first cichlid tank. I've only kept small planted tanks until now. I'm looking for one-two larger fish, with a dual-trio of midsized fish, and either something for the bottom or a school of something. I want something impressive and interesting, maybe something I can observe natural/interesting behaviors. Any help guys.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
Hmm, maybe one O, a Con, FM, Sajica, and 4 Clown Loaches? You would need to get the CL's at a larger size, since they are slow growers. I hear they have a lot of personality though.:)

Instead of an O, you could think about a Redhead. Gorgeous fish.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I find that pikes do alright with oscars. But you got to watch out though, some get huge.

One fish I plan to have in my "impress people tank" is a flower horn. They get big, great colors, and have an attitude to match all that. I think it will give the same impression that people (who don't keep big fish) get when they see a huge oscar or jag in a tank. "Damn, that thing is HUGE, and it trying to bite me!" I love it when I hear that.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I would be afraid of the Oscar getting bigger than the Firemouths and looking at them for lunch.
Yeah, that could happen. I have seen 2-3" convicts in with 10-12" oscars though. I think fire mouths are just as tough as cons. And I think if the firemouths were established in the tank first it might work.

mssassysan2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Tha Club
Clown Laches are great 125gal you should get about 6 and 4 firemouths 1 oscar that would be a nice group keep oscar feed.:clap :clap

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I'm contemplating a 125 for my bedroom. I'm looking to get a simple setup with interesting fish.

I was thinking of getting an Oscar, 2-3 Firemouths. I'd like to have more of something besides that but would like suggestions, maybe Bichirs or a pike? I want a setup that will impress people when they come into the room.

I say, scratch the Oscar man, seriously. They get too big too fast and I find them boring.

If you want a S/A cichlid that will impress, look no further than Caquetaia Spectabilis my dear friend. Spectabilis as in Spectacular!

m20321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2004
United States
Here's a setup I once contemplated but never got around to doing.

6 - Medium clown loaches
3 - Geophagus Redhead Tapajos - http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/rhgeo3.jpg
1 - Vieja Synspilus - http://www.cjexotics.com/images/synspil318.jpg
4 - Thoricthys aureous blue - http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/images/blueaureus.jpg
These are the same species as firemouths just different variations.

Then I would add some peacefull catfish and you'll have a great looking tank that is relatively low on aggression with a very colorful centerpiece fish (the synspilus).

On my 125 with SA/CA cichlids I have a large Ehiem canister, 2 emperor 400's and an Aquaclear 110. You probably don't need that much filtration but the more the better right? Enjoy your setup!! One more thing, all of these cichlids should be available from Jeff Rapps at www.tangleupincichlids.com

USMCtanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
wa
man so many people are into cichlids, they must be cool bc so many peole dig them, i have only had oddballs. i love the crazy fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store