125G Stocking & Questions

JArtiles305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Miami
If I ditch the Oscar would I have space for more fish?

Say a breeding pair of Jack Dempsey's, a Blue Acara, breeding pair of convicts, small shoal of Firemouths, and some ground fish?

Still unsure of the ground fish, Clown Loach are not native to South America and I just found out neither is the bichir anyone have any suggestions?

How's the stock list?

m20321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2004
United States
If I were you I would try to stay away from getting breeding pairs. When Cichlids pair up to breed their aggression levels go up ten fold. They become extremely territorial and go into kill mode to protect their young. So try and stick with m/m f/f or just one of each species. Your right clown loaches are not originally from South America but they are great dithers to add to a tank like yours. To answer your Oscar question, yes taking the oscar out of the equation will open up more room to put in other fish. Good questions though.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
Geo's? You may want to research them a bit, I'm not sure about temperement and tankmates. I know they are commonly kept with O's, so should be fairly hardy. And they are stunning.:)

m20321

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2004
United States
That's a good point about there temperment. My experience has been they are pretty mild mannered. They spend the majority of their day digging through the substrate. They are pretty hardy Like Gee said and they are amazing when fully grown.

JArtiles305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Miami
I'm still unsure of an interesting stocking list for the 125G. There are so many fish that it's mind numbing. Is there any place that has setup suggestions for a 125G where I can get ideas?

I really would like to somehow have a small school of something in there, along with a predatory fish or two, among other things.

Gee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2005
San Bernardino, CA
Just try to think long term, what fish will likely hold your interest. I know it's hard. You can also search through google images, just to look at different fish, and make a list. As you find more info on each fish, you can cut down your options.

JArtiles305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Miami
I've decided I really want Firemouths, at least a group of four. Now I just need to figure what fish would look nice with them.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Geo's are great. They are very hardy fish and not agressive but will hold thier own. I have had mine in with everything from xingu 1 pikes to guppies and has never even bothered any fish. Good luck with your tank.

Chad

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I have a 125 and (personally) i think i have a great little assortment.

You can check my sig. i like my mix because each fish is very different looking than the next. I've got a lot of different colors in there.

I also aggree with not getting breeding pairs. If you want variety, you wont be able to have much if you have two cichlids with fry. They are very good parents and you'll be catering mostly to them.

JArtiles305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Miami
How would Firemouths do with Bolivian Rams, Keyhole Cichlids, and Rummy Nose Tetra's?

What are others mates Firemouths could have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store