1700 gallon stingray river

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Wonderful creation,love the plants particularly,all looks very natural.Though you can't possibly see the whole area of the tank if it holds 1700 gals most of the areas shown on the photos look a little rocky and course for rays,this is not a criticism but more of an observation,im sure with such attention to detail you know what your doing and there are areas with less intricate decor.
Breathtaking display!

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
aquaman45;4946802; said:
Wonderful creation,love the plants particularly,all looks very natural.Though you can't possibly see the whole area of the tank if it holds 1700 gals most of the areas shown on the photos look a little rocky and course for rays,this is not a criticism but more of an observation,im sure with such attention to detail you know what your doing and there are areas with less intricate decor.
Breathtaking display!
The majority of the available tank space for the rays is actually underneath the land sections. The land is built up and supported above the water areas using PVC pipes and racks. Therefore 100 % of the bottom portion of the tank is available to the rays. Underneath the elevated land areas there is no decorations- just smooth flat bottom with a fine layer of sand. This also offers the rays some seclusion. If they don't want to be viewed they don't have to be.

gaz025;4947058; said:
stunning tank . what are the dimensions and what filtration do you use ?
Main tank
Dimensions- 15'6" long, 60 wide and 33 inches tall.

Filtration-
Part 1
100 gallons per day water change with RO water at 3ppm. This is done automatically so I don't have to mess with it.

Part 2
2 drip walls back into the system where all the water passes- these are covered in plants. They are grown emmersed -therefore are not carbon limited- which means the plants can grow crazy and are only limited by the nutrients available in the water.

Part 3
3 Fluval 405's and a lifeguard fluidized bed filter-FB900. Along with Multiple sponge filters over the power heads used for current.

Part4-
See all those plants in the system- There roots go down into the water column. The entire back wall of the system is covered in a creeping vine thats gets all of its water and nutrients from the aquarium. Further more a mister sprays the land sections with the aquarium water.

The land sections are bedded on COIR which softens the water and replicates the natural environment as it filters through and back into the water column below.

Secondary tank is a 4 x 4 cube plumbed into the system behind the main display in the filtration room. This is where the filtration and heating happens so it isn't visible in the main system.

The display tank is pumped into the 4 x 4 cube where it is filtered and heated. This returns over a bunch of bioballs and filters- through the 2 planted drip walls and back into the main tank.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
bcarlos;4944202; said:
Wow, very nice Itaituba! What's the maintanence like on this tank?
see post above- not to much to do- it's mostly automated.

COOL MBU;4944203; said:
Too Cool!!! Love the p-14's!!
Thanks

Ocean Blue;4944216; said:
Your tank is my favorite! Simply awesome.
Thanks

LOPAKA;4944217; said:
1 of my favorite tanks !!!!
Appreciate that!

Kanta;4944226; said:
That Is incredible. There's no limit to what you put your mind to
So true-look at the pyramids-Oh wait aliens built those.:headbang2
predators;4944401; said:
Beautiful!!!
thank you.
emporercichlid;4944458; said:
Cool:)
thaos95;4944462; said:
awesome setup!
thank you.
gangster;4944571; said:
Stunning bio-tope! How often do you need to do wc's w/ all the plants? And how many discus are in there?
4 discus and I do 100 gallons a day for water changes.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
bigfishrcool1193;4944704; said:
Amazing. Do you still have the dart frogs in there?
Yeah there are about 10 of them. If you look really close in the pictures you can see a blue one hanging in a nest on a log over the water section.

Toxic Fish 9999;4944721; said:
How mush does it cost to have you come over?
Tanks looks amazing!!!!!
Beer and brats! I like Guiness though-I'm not that cheap of a date!;)

flamenco-t;4944771; said:
Very nice setup...P14, P13...wow !!
Thanks are those bingo numbers? haha
FishDog;4944787; said:
I would through the TV out the window and just stare at that tank all day
I do look at the tank more than the tele.
vamptrev;4944809; said:
dang thats a sweet setup!

u finding the rays chewing stuff up yet?
Yep- mostly plants though- they haven't started chewing on each other yet.

Kcameron;4944818; said:
now this is what mfk should be about! aquascaping and recreating the habitat is just as important as the specimens themselves
Cool- I think so as well.

fishcop14;4944995; said:
What kind of rays
Spotty ones!:ROFL:
HULON;4945004; said:
Just Beautiful can't even imagine how much of a laber of love is in there:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2
It's a ton of fun!

Trevor0015;4945307; said:
One of the best displays I have ever seen.. It would be really hard to beat this one.

Trevor
Thanks!

Reactions: biggfish

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Amazing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com