180 gallon plywood tank

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...TBH i fear his chiming in ,lol...I’m half expecting him to post something like, "You’re way over your head, kid!" or drop an extremely long article that’ll go right over my head, lol...
Erm, he would be more likely to roast you and then call me a bot lol. :1zhelp:
No roasting, and no plans to reveal that one of you is a bot...because I think you both might be...

Okay, short and sweet: this is not a difficult job. Build a box out of 3/4-inch plywood, complete with bracing around the top opening and at least one front-to-back crossbrace, using both glue and screws; cut out the window opening leaving a solid one-piece frame around the outside edge; waterproof the interior (liquid rubber, Pond Shield, there's lots of choices; my current favourite is Interseal) following the directions on the can in terms of mixing, drying times, etc.; use pure silicone to attach the glass panel to the inside of the front; drill for bulkheads; fill with water. Yeah, you can use fibreglass and add external frames and multiple cross-braces and all kinds of fancy crap...but at these sizes, none of that is even remotely necessary.

Do I get a few more words before you fall asleep? Okay, some disclaimers.

First...a certain minimum level of competence and experience with tools is useful. Do you have the skills and abilities to handle a large sheet of plywood and cut it into precisely sized pieces that are perfectly square at the corners? Don't expect to have that done at the lumberyard.

Second...a tank this size is not going to save you any money over buying an all-glass tank. IMHO, there are only two basic reasons to build a plywood tank this small. One is simply because you want to build one; perfectly valid justification, by the way. The other is because a tank built like this may leak if you are sloppy in construction, but it will never experience a catastrophic failure such as is possible with an all-glass tank. You will never have a seam give way and dump all the water on the floor in seconds. I trust a plywood tank way, way more than an all-glass one...and I spent a couple summers working for a guy who made all-glass tanks, and built a bunch while I was there.

Still awake? Okay, good! Now just do some research; there are tons of threads on MFK about exactly what you want to do. Read them, understand them...and then decide if you still want to do this. You're going to invest some time into this; the Dumbass Boogerman would have gone through three or four complete tank renos in the time it will take to get your new one up and running.

I see you're nodding off, so just one more comment; many of the threads about DIY tanks that failed seemed to have a common element. The guy builds the tank in his friend's garage, then gets four drunken buddies to load it into his truck, drives home on a bumpy gravel road, gets four more drunken buddies to slide the tank out of the truck bed, carry it around back, turn it sideways and on one end to get through the back door, down the hallway, around a sharp corner, down a rickety set of stairs to the basement, through a couple more doors and finally slam it down on top of the homemade stand that looks like it fell out of an airplane.

I build virtually all my tanks right there where they will live; the biggest trauma they typically suffer is being tipped forward gently onto their fronts to install the glass, and then back into the upright position. I have very few that ever developed leaks. Coincidence? I think not...

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
See what did I tell you AR1 AR1 ? He roasted you and call me a bot. :ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
No roasting, and no plans to reveal that one of you is a bot...because I think you both might be...

Okay, short and sweet: this is not a difficult job. Build a box out of 3/4-inch plywood, complete with bracing around the top opening and at least one front-to-back crossbrace, using both glue and screws; cut out the window opening leaving a solid one-piece frame around the outside edge; waterproof the interior (liquid rubber, Pond Shield, there's lots of choices; my current favourite is Interseal) following the directions on the can in terms of mixing, drying times, etc.; use pure silicone to attach the glass panel to the inside of the front; drill for bulkheads; fill with water. Yeah, you can use fibreglass and add external frames and multiple cross-braces and all kinds of fancy crap...but at these sizes, none of that is even remotely necessary.

Do I get a few more words before you fall asleep? Okay, some disclaimers.

First...a certain minimum level of competence and experience with tools is useful. Do you have the skills and abilities to handle a large sheet of plywood and cut it into precisely sized pieces that are perfectly square at the corners? Don't expect to have that done at the lumberyard.

Second...a tank this size is not going to save you any money over buying an all-glass tank. IMHO, there are only two basic reasons to build a plywood tank this small. One is simply because you want to build one; perfectly valid justification, by the way. The other is because a tank built like this may leak if you are sloppy in construction, but it will never experience a catastrophic failure such as is possible with an all-glass tank. You will never have a seam give way and dump all the water on the floor in seconds. I trust a plywood tank way, way more than an all-glass one...and I spent a couple summers working for a guy who made all-glass tanks, and built a bunch while I was there.

Still awake? Okay, good! Now just do some research; there are tons of threads on MFK about exactly what you want to do. Read them, understand them...and then decide if you still want to do this. You're going to invest some time into this; the Dumbass Boogerman would have gone through three or four complete tank renos in the time it will take to get your new one up and running.

I see you're nodding off, so just one more comment; many of the threads about DIY tanks that failed seemed to have a common element. The guy builds the tank in his friend's garage, then gets four drunken buddies to load it into his truck, drives home on a bumpy gravel road, gets four more drunken buddies to slide the tank out of the truck bed, carry it around back, turn it sideways and on one end to get through the back door, down the hallway, around a sharp corner, down a rickety set of stairs to the basement, through a couple more doors and finally slam it down on top of the homemade stand that looks like it fell out of an airplane.

I build virtually all my tanks right there where they will live; the biggest trauma they typically suffer is being tipped forward gently onto their fronts to install the glass, and then back into the upright position. I have very few that ever developed leaks. Coincidence? I think not...
Thanks for the useful info, jjohnwm jjohnwm ! For the first time on MFK, I read one of your replies with real interest.

First off, I’ve been doing woodworking practically since I was born, so yeah, I’m comfortable working with it.

Second, the guy at my hardware store mentioned they don't carry fiberglass or anything like that, only liquid silicone spray. Can that be used for waterproofing too?

Third, how thick should the glass panel be for this project?

And finally, if this project goes forward, it'll be built right where it’s going to stay—no need for drunken men to haul it around!

EDIT: I’ve also contacted a local shopkeeper who knows someone that builds large tanks. He said he’ll get me a quote tomorrow. So, I’m holding off on starting this project until I get the price details.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks for the useful info, jjohnwm jjohnwm ! For the first time on MFK, I read one of your replies with real interest...
High time, huh?

...Second, the guy at my hardware store mentioned they don't carry fiberglass or anything like that, only liquid silicone spray. Can that be used for waterproofing too?

Third, how thick should the glass panel be for this project?
Liquid silicone spray...to waterproof wood??? Uh...no. Like I said, tons of threads to answer specific questions...even silly ones like that. It's time for the baby bird to start reading, rather than peeping plaintively for info to be dropped into its beak. Nobody wants to write a textbook custom-geared towards your project.

Glass thickness? Hmmm...I have my own ideas about this, but learned my lesson the last time I tried to answer that question. Research! Not only on MFK; it's very easy to find charts and other recommendations regarding that online. Don't trust any one source...even an unimpeachable one like me! :ROFL:

Half the fun of a project like this is knowing you did the work...and the research...yourself.

...I’ve also contacted a local shopkeeper who knows someone that builds large tanks. He said he’ll get me a quote tomorrow. So, I’m holding off on starting this project until I get the price details.
Just remember, there's more to it than just bottom line prices. If you are looking strictly at that, I'm sure you won't want to build, especially if you factor in the value of (even) your time. :)

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store