300G PLY TANK BUILD

RAWLO

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
australia
FINALY PULLED MY FINGER OUT AND STARTED A DIY PROJECT, SPACE IS MY PROBLEM. SO THIS WEEKEND I TOOK ADVATAGE OF MY WORKS FACTORY. NOW BROUGHT HOME ITS MASSIVE!!!!! PICKS ARE NOT UPTO DATE, ITS BEEN FIBREGLASSED ASWELL. TOOK A LOT OF WORK TO GET IT STRUCTUAL AND SEALED. ITS 3/4 PLY, 4X2 PINE,BISCUT JOINTED, 450CSM WITH POLYESTER, WILL SEAL WITH EPOXY[I THINK]. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF A POLYESTER FLOWCOAT WOULD BE SUITABLE? :wall:

DSC07973.JPG

DSC07977.JPG

SWINGRRRR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2007
Penscaola
I am by no means a structural engineer, or a craftsman, but I think I dont trust just biscuit and glue for these joints. You have close to 1200lbs a side pushing out on them. I would have put the sides on the bottom, if that makes sense. Or maybe at least some screws. Again, this is only my personal opinion.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
biscuits are surprisingly strong... but I like my tanks overbuilt. I'd run 2x2's down the inside of the corners and screw the plywood into them.

Bagstar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Uk
Well done so far looks good. I would in some way beef the joins up on the corners though. I would say that the biscuit joints may hold out to start with but they aren't going to last that long IMHO.

How about using some angle bar on the outside of the tank and screwing through that?

RAWLO

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
australia
more pics, more structure, extra ply on ends. more timber in corner, and landing for top, after glass is fitted. and a couple of my last diy cabnet and hood.

DSC07983.JPG

DSC07984.JPG

DSC07985.JPG

DSC07980.JPG

DSC07982.JPG

DSC07981.JPG

RAWLO

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
australia
:idea: yes, I'm going to try make them look like port holes in a ship.thought big panels on ends needed something, but didn't want to much glass, but in the end, probly be same amount of work.
does anyone know what type of glass I should get? safety glass? toughened or just standard?

mannyhappy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Miami
the thickness of the glass depends on the depth @ which it resides....

The taller the tank, the thicker the glass

If its heat strengthened, you can go with a thinner glass...i think.
I am sure some1 will correct me if im mistaken.

Your standard 55 gallon that is 20" to 21" high and uses 3/8" thick glass.

Do some more research...check out garf's site

Also, tempered glass is hella expensive.... =(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store