310gal Update (Post Leak)

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Can we move that huge rock pile outside next to the tank please? j/k :) Seriously, it's not a very good idea to have that much of pressure on one side of the tank, even with the slap underneath the rocks. The pressure is still there, unevenly. But I guess you know that already.

The setup looks nice and very dramatic too! It's an attention catcher for sure :)

Very nice RTGG there. Ted is a very lucky fish. How big is he and how old?

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Thanks Valderi.

Sorry for the lack of pictures. Have been swamped with work getting new catalogues made, business cards and marketing material for winter here.

This week end will definitely take some more of the sump and tank. It has settled nicely but all the long filamentous algae has broken off and in now just a nice thick covering on about 25% of the visible rock surface and has started spreading nicely to the other rocks.

I also added 6 yellow labs but they are all but lost in all that rockwork and somewhat terrified of Ted (for now).

Arodini-The stand was made by a professional joiner. The legs, 8 of them are solid 8" x 4", there are are 2" x 4" struts every foot under the tank with 2 1/2" inch plywood base. The joiner built it to hold at least 3.5 tons (3500kg or 7700lbs). Fully loaded now (including Ted's fat fishy butt) is about 1.5 tons. About 40% of what it is designed to hold.

I do appreciate all your concerns and have read and taken what you have said into consideration. I have decided to stick with the risk as I feel I have taken the necessary precautions to avoid serious problems (watch this space as I may have to eat the whole humble pie a little ways down the line.) I took 2 hours to place 12 rocks in such a way that even when I shake the tank and it rocks the rockwork remained stable and nothing moved.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Here are some more pics. Have not got round to taking pics of sump as my flash on my camera is not working so have to wait for the GF to bring her camera.
The rock wall with grazing rock in the middle. Hopefully soon it will be cover in algae for the labs to snack on.
IMAG0512.jpg
The pile on the far end hiding plumbing.
IMAG0511.jpg
Ted near the cliff.
IMAG0513.jpg
A look from the far side of tank. This is what the angel fish see.
IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Still? Hahaha. I did an earthquake test on it today. Shook the whole tank until I felt rocks vibrating. Not one pebble moved. I reckon I am good for another another week or so.

On a side note I added 4 fryeri and 5 yellow labs over the last 2 weeks. Put in an order for 15 yellow labs about 7-8cm yesterday. They should come this week.
The labs are still a bit shy when I roam around the tank but come out when I sit still. I think when there are 20 of them they should feel safe enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store