37 Gallon Gulf of Mexico/Florida “Biotope” stocking ideas.

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
I have some ideas for stocking my 37 gallon Saltwater tank. It currently inhabits 10 Mollies, 1 Engineer Goby, 1 Western Mosquitofish, 1 Nerite Snail, 1 Pithos Crab, and 3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs. I want to fizzle out the Mollies for new inhabitants. Also note that the Engineer Goby and technically the Nerite Snail and the only creatures that can’t be found in this range.
Species I’m thinking of:
Sheepshead Minnow
Gulf Killifish
Hogchocker
Mummichog
Longnose Killifish
Pinfish
Oyster Toadfish
Belted Sandfish
Horseshoe Crab (temporary on species)
Slipper Lobster (temporary on species)

Also not as these species will necessarily go into the tank. I’d just like to hear thoughts on species and amounts. Feel free to suggest your own.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I recommend posting this on the saltwater fishkeeping group reef2reef.com. They were super welcoming, and there are plenty of experienced saltwater keepers there to help out.

Not many people in this group know about saltwater or have saltwater tanks. Best of luck!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I haven’t kept any of those species. I agree you may have better luck on a saltwater dedicated forum.
You’ll probably have some trouble getting those fish. They are not going to show up in most shops, and there’s a lot of catch restrictions for saltwater.
My honest suggestion is, if you have a saltwater setup, why not go for some of the prettier reef fish that make sw setups popular?
Eventually you will want to move that engineer goby out. That fish can easily get over a foot long, and really should be in at least a 6 foot tank imo.

Reactions: AR1

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
I haven’t kept any of those species. I agree you may have better luck on a saltwater dedicated forum.
You’ll probably have some trouble getting those fish. They are not going to show up in most shops, and there’s a lot of catch restrictions for saltwater.
My honest suggestion is, if you have a saltwater setup, why not go for some of the prettier reef fish that make sw setups popular?
Eventually you will want to move that engineer goby out. That fish can easily get over a foot long, and really should be in at least a 6 foot tank imo.
I already know places to get them online and even in store. I find all fish pretty whether they’re a bright color or dull color.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store