6 inch Jardini with my 4.5 inch channa? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I know i said before I was thinking of putting a jardini with my wolf, well now I'm thinking of a jardini with my little killer 4.5 inch channa :D As my wolf is over 8 inches and I'm thinking of selling him anyway.

So - my little channa is 4.5 inches now. I got him when he was 3.5. Pretty sure it's micropeltes or maybe striata.

So far he has killed a spotted gar, a hujeta, a few medium sized tetras, a big goldfish, probably heavier than him.

He has no qualms about attacking fish bigger than him.

At the moment he is in with a raphael catfish, a convict, and a texas cichlid. All smaller than him. He leaves the catfish alone completely, they hang out together at night.

He constantly chases the texas and the convict, they don't fight back, just swim away - but as of now they are unscathed. I'm not sure why exactly, either because he's not that intent on killing them, or they're quicker than the other fish.

So a 6 inch jardini? It's bigger than him, deeper bodied too. At 6 inches is a jardini brave or aggressive enough to defend itself against a very aggressive little snakehead? Or are they the kinda fish that are placid, then suddenly turn when approach a foot?

In the store it's in with some discus and 2 inch gouramis, and they seem to get on fine, so it can't be very aggressive at the moment.

I just wonder what will happen when the channa inevitably attacks it.

I was thinking of putting a divider up, letting the jardini settle in, then removing the divider.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I know you all vouch for the jardini as being a bad boy, but honestly - if they didn't get on my money would be on the SH.

The SH killed the Spotted gar I bought him with in 2 days of being put in the tank. Then I bought more fish to put in with it. 4 medium sized tetras, deep bodied ones, that I thought would be much too big to eat, and he munched them all in a couple of days.

I put in 2 big goldfish, as big as him. He terrorized both of them, the one that was left had almost no scales and no fins, and cuts all over it. He would just float up to the top, pretend to gulp air, then relentlessly launch himself at it.

I put in a similar sized hujeta, and the SH actually took a chunk out of it's back and killed it.

Yet somehow a 2 inch convict and 3 inch texas are still fine and unscathed.

Oh and I put in a 6 inch fat sleeper goby, about 5 times fatter than the SH, as soon as I dropped it in, the snakehead just swim right upto it, face to face, to intimidate it, the goby didn't move, so the channa bit it on the head. It's got some balls I swear.

I really want this aro, it's at a decent price, but I just hope it can withstand the fury of my little channa.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
:D

Do you think I should plonk him in right away, or wait until he's settled in the tank with the aid of a divider?

flowerfan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2005
if your jadini bigger than sh, it should work. Jafini can be agressive, he might dominate your tank.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
Oh btw - are jardini's hardy?

The fish I own already are hardy, wolf, snakehead, oscars.

I keep the fish very clean, change water once or twice a week, the water is always fine.

But I think even with dirty water or lack of oxygen, wolves and snakeheads are gonna be oke, they are tough fish.

What about jardinis? Do they have a rep for being sensitive or hardy?

Monster VooDoo Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
cripple fight, someones going to get a flogging.

Wolf and sh can breath air so they are hardy.
If your power goes out oscar and jardi will be in
trouble.

I would give your striata its own tank they are aggro..

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
monster - what makes you think it's a striata rather than a micro? :)

And being that you have a striata - how aggressive do you think they are compared to micropeltes?

JR

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
dude it sounds as if you have made up your mind... now ask yourself what if your jardini dies ok you are out a pretty cool fish... I say do whatever you want I think the SH will kill the Jardini but that is just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store