6x9 shed build

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
At the risk of never finishing this build I’ve waited til now to share it. The job is really close to being finished and has come up great. My wife and I purchased our first home in December 2020 and I am lucky enough to have a 6m x 9m shed / fish room.

We live in Perth, Western Australia. December in a tin shed is really hot and my tanks cooked for a couple of months. In that time I lost 1 fish, a tiger bichir. I underestimated how hot it would get inside during summer so the plan is to insulate it. Right now we are leading into the hottest months of the year again but I’m hoping things will be different. I’ll install a reverse cycle split system air conditioner in the future but don’t have one right now and I’m hoping I won’t need it fingers crossed.

0.jpg

1.jpg

I started with a typical 6x9 steel framed shed which has a pit for car servicing. With everything moved to one side I began work by fixing topspan 60 to the existing steel frame at roughly 1500mm centres. On the roof between the topspan I added some steel strap bracing to help support the blanket insulation.

3.jpg

Next came the ceiling insulation where I used 5 x 10m long 75mm thick R1.8 Earthwool space blankets laid in between the roof sheeting and topspan purlins with the extra strap bracing between for support. For the walls 125mm thick Earthwool R2.5 batt insulation was used and held in place between the topspan purlins with tape before fixing the wall sheeting. Between the ceiling topspan purlins I also added some 90mm R2.0 Earthwool batts bringing the roof insulation up to 165mm thick. I chose colorbond customorb in a shale grey for the cladding so it was waterproof and lightweight. It was fixed horizontally so that I required less topspan framing and less fixings for the sheeting. Using these materials was a lot cheaper than either plasterboard or fibre cement sheeting.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

With the wall and ceiling sheeting on I painted that side of the floor using Berger jet dry in regal fortress and also made a cover for the pit out of marine ply. I moved everything onto that side of the shed and repeated the process. At this point I only had two 6 foot tanks, 2 4 foot tanks and an IBC with some koi in it.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Last edited:

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
While working on the insulation and sheeting I had electricians come in and rewire everything. They added more power points and a new switchboard to make it all safe. I also plumbed in a drainage pipe around the shed for water changes and ordered a new tank. My first big setup started to arrive with the stand first and then the sump. The tank is a 10x3x2.5 with an 8x2.5x550mm sump, the tank is painted all white with a synergy reef overflow box.

15.jpg

016.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

The shed has 2 sliding doors across the front which I filled the framing in with 30mm polystyrene and then clad over the top with flat colorbond sheeting. Currently I have only the end sheets to go on which need ordering, cutting and fixing in place. All the gaps then need flashings or trims and the job is done.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I’ve moved all the fish out my 6 footers and into the big house, sold my 2 4 footers and moved the fish out of them into 1 of my 6 foot tanks.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Nicely done.

Reactions: tlindsey

SuperNinja

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2014
Desert
Incredible. Have the idea of doing this when we upgrade homes in the next year. Incredible tank and stock. Awesome sump as well!

Reactions: tlindsey

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
here we go, time to test out the shed insulation.
starting to wish i had my air con installed for this.

Screenshot_20211222-151726_Firefox.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store