6x9 shed build

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Awesome setup! I see some beautiful fish in there, what all is stocked in your tank?
QT tank has albino long fin cory, duplicareus cory and long fin bristlenose.
6ft pleco tank has L114, L201, L397, L134, bristlenose varieties and neon rainbow fish.
6ft ray tank has black diamonds and superspot motoro
10ft has kelberri bass, spotted gars, clown knife, saratoga, datnoid, motoro rays and albino gibbicep
all the tanks have rams horn snails and ninja shrimp through them.
and in the pond outside i have a few koi

Peckoltia

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
You must have some really good mates to help you with all of that and to look after your fish when you are away.

Not sure how I missed this until now.

nicobee18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Nice Setup! Good on you going to the effort for insulation etc, I know of others who wing it and loose expensive fish every summer, crazy.
I'm also in Perth, curious where you had the 10x3x2.5 setup built? I've recently just upgraded to a 6x2x3, but already planning the next step which I'm wanting around the size you have so I can expand and keep rays with my other South Americans.
Keep up the good work and keep the posts and pics coming.
Cheers

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
You must have some really good mates to help you with all of that and to look after your fish when you are away.

Not sure how I missed this until now.
:cheers:

Nice Setup! Good on you going to the effort for insulation etc, I know of others who wing it and loose expensive fish every summer, crazy.
I'm also in Perth, curious where you had the 10x3x2.5 setup built? I've recently just upgraded to a 6x2x3, but already planning the next step which I'm wanting around the size you have so I can expand and keep rays with my other South Americans.
Keep up the good work and keep the posts and pics coming.
Cheers
yeh i killed a tiger bichir the first year i moved into the shed, ive been suprised how hot the fish can take it but it cant be good for them.
mine was built by aquotix, i'd probly import if i was to do it again the cost of shipping has come back down.

Reactions: nicobee18

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
my new rack is up and running. i purchased an 8ft stand with 3 rows of 2 4ft tanks with the bottom tanks divided in half. i didn't have any photos of cleaning up the stand but it was an average job to do. i ground the stand down with a wire brush on a drill and painted it about 3 coats.
the tanks all got drilled for inlets and overflows then painted. i wanted the rack to be its own system so one of the bottom tanks was converted into a sump. all i had to do was drill the divider and add a baffle.
the inlets are all 20mm pipe and the outlets are 32mm with a 65mm drilled sleeve. so far so good with everything, I've got air pumps on each tank running sponges as backups at the moment but that will change when i plumb up my new air pump for the fish room.
the setup has a fair few fish in it now and 3 fry boxes, pretty happy with it for my first rack and learnt a lot along the way.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
had a good mate come round to finish off lining both gables in the shed and it looks heaps better. I'll flash all the gaps with painted timber when i get a chance or can be bothered. Ive also got a split system a/c coming in a week which I'm really pumped for, we haven't been hit with consecutive hot days yet but they're coming and by all reports its going to be a really long hot summer.

5.jpg

so at the moment my systems go like this:

a 6x2x2 stack with DIY filters, a typical mechanical pond filter style and a biological filter made from plastic containers with internal pumps.

2.jpg

the new rack i just posted setting up; the 2 top tanks are 4x20x16, the 2 middle tanks are 4x20x18 and the 2 bottom tanks are 4x20x18 divided in 2 with 1 converted into a sump. Ive also added a 70l/min air pump for this rack and fired up the bottom tanks.

3.jpg

my big tank; a 10x3x2.5 with an 8x2.5x500mm sump. i'm scraping off the painted background and it will take ages to sort out. this sump also needs air added to it to better circulate all the dead spots and stop the sediment building up.

4.jpg

under construction is a 8ft system; on top is 2 4x2x2.5 tanks plumbed into a 4x1.5x1.5 sump and on the bottom is a 4x18x2 quarantine tank. the other 4x2 is on the ground and needs to be drilled and painted.

1.jpg

I'm after some recommendations on good 4ft lights if anyone can help out, i want to be able to adjust the levels of white and blue or all the colours aswell as the light instensity. cheers.

Last edited:

Claypac

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
its been a while between updates so this is whats been happening. on the 10x3x2.5 Ive added air to the sump and its made a huge difference. with the extra circulation there's been no build up of waste under the bakki rods and more oxygen for the fish. i cut back on the lighting added the oxygen and its definatly reduced the algae growth which was going nuts. I've removed the wood from the tank as well and repainted the background. turns out scraping off enamel paint isn't much fun. my motoro pair had their 1st batch of pups and i separated a pair of kelberri's into a breeding tank. they've laid eggs but no fry yet.

1.jpg

the shed got rearranged and the 6x2 stack got moved. my kelberri pair have the top and my leucosticta are in the bottom. i replaced the K1 media in those mini wheely bins with bakki rods so i can have smaller pumps on this system and less power draw.

2.jpg

in the pleco rack i've have some success with L397 spawning and some praecox eggs. i've managed to raise both of those up to fry and theyre going well. 1 of the tanks needs a reseal though.

3.jpg

the 8ft rack i was working on came together and then split apart. the tank i had sitting around for a while empty didn't like that and when i filled it she split half way up. ive since resealed that 1 and added some aluminum angle to the uprights for extra support. in hindsight you could see where it was going to pop and dealing with second hand tanks is always a risk. ive added a pump manifold and am now going to reseal and brace the other tank. this is before she popped...

4.jpg

and after ... i also filled up the bakki chamber.

5.jpg

the new manifold with an inlet to add a back-up pump for the missus to change over if i'm not home and the main pump dies.

6.jpg

7.jpg

the shed has had a rearrange and is now pretty cool. once i've finished dealing with 2nd hand tank problems ill get a table and chairs in, crack open a beer and breed something.

8.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store