700 + Aquarium Build

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
The inside of the stand is going to be a sump and I am planning to make it as a refugium with mangroves and floating plants in there. I put styrofoam around the inside of the stands and silicone the joins of the styro. I'll be putting a pond liner on top of this styrofoam. Besides protecting the pond liner the styro will be insulators, being in Saskatchewan Canada you would want contain all the heat you can get :D . I read somewhere that the pond liner has the tendency to squeeze in between cracks and break so I put in the silicone.
I just used the cheaper DAP.

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
Heres the outcome of my stand sump. My arowanas are in there now.

The pond liner on top there is just for covering my opening for the sump. Arowanas jump a lot. Im pretty sure they can clear that opening if that liner is not covering it.

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
Here the tank that use to house my aros. Im going to use it as my settling tank. I am doing the convertion here so that dirt will hopefully settle at the bottom and all I have to do is open up the drain and down goes the dirt.

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
Mechanical filter is an expensive or tiring filtering method, if you don't clean/change it often it is basically useless especially when dirt breaks down already. One can keep on washing it or keep on buying new ones. The way I see it if you can take out the dirt from the water ASAP and before it breaks down you might have a chance of doing a lesser water change and it will equate to a lesser bioload even if your tank is jam packed. If this settling tank method works I can take out the dirt from the water easier and as often as I want with out being expensive or tiring.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Wow, this will be a beauty when it's all together. What are you using for your front window? I like your ABS plastic idea... I used epoxy and I wound up doing lots of coats just to assure myself I'd got every nook, but your way looks pretty tough to screw up!

I like your stand - that think will hold a locomotive! The only thing I'll say now is that you will regret having the tank so high :-S. You're absolutely right, it looks fantastic, but I did and thought exactly the same thing with my smaller 5.5'x2'x3' tank. Climbing a ladder and trying to get something off the bottom of the tank by leaning over the side is a PAIN. At least in your tank for aquascaping you can drain some water and get into the tank - if you're willing to do the acrobatics to get past the ceiling.

This will look really nice - if I had your space and that spare tank for filtration, I'd consider a bead filter - they are really easy to clean if you set up the plumbing properly - you just run water backwards through the filter rapidly to stir up the beads and dislodge the dirt - the dirty water goes down the drain with all the buildup, and you never even get your hands wet. The settling tank will get rid of all the heavy dirt, but things like bits of plant tend to float - I have that problem in my sump because I use sock filters. The plat matter just floats around int eh sock without ever sticking to the side. Then when the sock plugs up enough for water to overflow it, all the leaves and crud winds up in my drip plate.

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
i WAS WONDERING HOW LONG YOU EXPECT THIS TANK TO LAST?? ASPECIALLY THE 'GOOP'. I AM FAMILIAR WITH IT....., BUT NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL LAST UNDERWATER???

NON-THE-LESS......, EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT......

GooDyboy420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2006
Wisconsin
www.myspace.com
i have a feeling ur tank will be great, im scared to do a plywood tank, but urs is lookin good!

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
jdepasqu2;1065681; said:
i WAS WONDERING HOW LONG YOU EXPECT THIS TANK TO LAST?? ASPECIALLY THE 'GOOP'. I AM FAMILIAR WITH IT....., BUT NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL LAST UNDERWATER???

NON-THE-LESS......, EVERYTHING LOOKS GREAT......
I dunno?? Maybe at least 10 years... But I've been wrong many times before.... maybe 20 years then?? No just kidding aside man I did my settling tank (the one on the pic above)more than 3 years ago and its made of acrylic using the same GOOP-tilting method and its still preety much solid and goop stuck up in there same as the day I finished it. When I was bringing it down the basement weeks ago I dropped it like a foot high but still no leaks or problem. Its not by any means professional looking like "milkman's" method of doing it but it works. And I guess with a thin sheet like what I'm using right now this goop tilting method would work a lot better. Again I can't guarantee anything more than 4 year for now. Only time will tell :D

arl

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
Saskatchewan Canada
cvermeulen;1065459; said:
Wow, this will be a beauty when it's all together. What are you using for your front window? I like your ABS plastic idea... I used epoxy and I wound up doing lots of coats just to assure myself I'd got every nook, but your way looks pretty tough to screw up!

I like your stand - that think will hold a locomotive! The only thing I'll say now is that you will regret having the tank so high :-S. You're absolutely right, it looks fantastic, but I did and thought exactly the same thing with my smaller 5.5'x2'x3' tank. Climbing a ladder and trying to get something off the bottom of the tank by leaning over the side is a PAIN. At least in your tank for aquascaping you can drain some water and get into the tank - if you're willing to do the acrobatics to get past the ceiling.

This will look really nice - if I had your space and that spare tank for filtration, I'd consider a bead filter - they are really easy to clean if you set up the plumbing properly - you just run water backwards through the filter rapidly to stir up the beads and dislodge the dirt - the dirty water goes down the drain with all the buildup, and you never even get your hands wet. The settling tank will get rid of all the heavy dirt, but things like bits of plant tend to float - I have that problem in my sump because I use sock filters. The plat matter just floats around int eh sock without ever sticking to the side. Then when the sock plugs up enough for water to overflow it, all the leaves and crud winds up in my drip plate.
Thanks cvermeulen for brainstorming my project I'll try to post more and explain my filter system later (Im at work right now just doing some slacking)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store