AAaahhHH Ick treatment? and snails / shrimp ?

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
JoelR;1229046; said:
Can't the snails & shrimp carry the ick? They may just re-infect your fish whey you put them back in the tank??

Im not sure, would they show symptoms? should i just treat the snails too and risk killing them with the treatment?

anyone actually know?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
You might want to put an airstone in with the snails. Snails and shrimp do not host ich but can physically carry the parasite for a few days, at 76-80 it is usually only 2-4 days before the parasite dies from a lack of suitable hosts but separating them from fish for 10 days pretty much guarantees them to be ich free.

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
guppy;1229760; said:
You might want to put an airstone in with the snails. Snails and shrimp do not host ich but can physically carry the parasite for a few days, at 76-80 it is usually only 2-4 days before the parasite dies from a lack of suitable hosts but separating them from fish for 10 days pretty much guarantees them to be ich free.

thank you
I thought snails could take air from the surface, isnt oxygenated water just a luxury to them?

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
update
i drained about 1/3 of the water so i need to use less treatment.
the fish are doing fine, and have very little traces of the ick, i think i will leave the meds in for 2 more days, then drain the tank down to about 50g, then fill it up all the way. the water has become very cloudy, i think the meds may have killed alot of the microbes/biofilters. but a 50% water change should clear it up alittle.
I cleaned one filter today, and the other will get cleaned with the water change.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
FisHaRNekEd;1229780; said:
thank you
I thought snails could take air from the surface, isnt oxygenated water just a luxury to them?
They use O2 from water through gills (in some cases), lungs, and skin and can also take it from the surface interface, it is less stressful, even for pulminate snails such as apple snails, if the water is well oxygenated, especially when crowded. Pond snails, on the otherhand, use mainly gills.

JoelR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Jacksonville FL
FisHaRNekEd;1229791; said:
update
i drained about 1/3 of the water so i need to use less treatment.
the fish are doing fine, and have very little traces of the ick, i think i will leave the meds in for 2 more days, then drain the tank down to about 50g, then fill it up all the way. the water has become very cloudy, i think the meds may have killed alot of the microbes/biofilters. but a 50% water change should clear it up alittle.
I cleaned one filter today, and the other will get cleaned with the water change.

I wouldn't touch the other filter for a while. If it has disturbed the bio, cleaning it will only finish the job. I would give it a couple weeks to balance out first.

FisHaRNekEd

Candiru
MFK Member
im not too worried about the bio load, its a big tank with small fish, and the water is moving pretty good. I put new carbon in the filters, and cleaned out the subtrate again.
the snails will stay in their temp home for a whil, i put a tiny amount of ick treatment with them too.

I think this ordeal may be almost over.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store