Acrylic Tank Canopy Design?

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
Hey guys hoping you may have an ingenious idea that would help me out.

I have a large acrylic tank 8ft x 6ft and I just got some new LED lights (hanging from the ceiling). Now that I have that done I am wondering how you guys build canopies for these tanks? I know acrylic is not good at supporting weight like glass would be. Given that I am wondering if I need to attach it to the ceiling/wall or use some corner supports which could also be utilized for covering the metal stand? I would prefer not to attach to the ceiling if possible. I also need to access the top for feeding etc so will need doors. I don't need the entire thing up to completely enclose the tank but merely hide the wiring/mess up top. Open to ideas/suggestions and have already been on google searching and will continue searching the forum. I am including a picture of the tank with lights ran up to the ceiling for reference.

IMG_2269.JPG

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
How about creating aluminum brackets to attach the lights with some T-frame. You could attach the bracket to the stand and or have rest on top of aquarium depending on how the frame is set-up.

wcgunns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
DFW, Texas
I've seen people weld or bolt a metal frame to the back of their metal stand and have it come up the back of the tank to support the canopy. Basically an upside down L bracket the is suspended just above the tank for the canopy to sit on.

L8braker

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2011
AVL, NC
I've seen people weld or bolt a metal frame to the back of their metal stand and have it come up the back of the tank to support the canopy. Basically an upside down L bracket the is suspended just above the tank for the canopy to sit on.
Well that is one idea...I was thinking of possibly doing something similar but would required drilling the legs of the stand and bolting the arms in place or having my buddy come weld it on(will require paint removal). I just wasn't sure how much it would weaken the arms of the stand. This stand is way way over engineered however.

I am still trying to prevent weight on top of the aquarium and leave it open for easier maintenance/access, so don't wanna put a frame around the rim.

DN328

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Aluminum is light and strong, and you wouldn't need to weld it to your metal stand. You can use clamp and bolt it your metal stand to avoid drilling and welding.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
It's hard to tell what kind of look you are trying achieve. You could suspend a lightweight diamond plate aluminum sheet from the ceiling with eye hooks and hooks. Just take the panel off or flip up for easy access. Would also work good with pvc sheet, which is pretty inexpensive and comes in every color.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
a typical style canopy will work on acrylic just the same as glass...by the look of the thickness of ur material i would not be worried at all...i do not like canopys myself but have stacked other tanks on top of my acrylics for overhead sumps with no isses or worry. if you want hide everything and are still worried id maybe start with attaching brackets/hinges to the ceiling and hanging "doors" to achieve the look of a canopy but all the weight is on the ceiling. a great example of acrylic supporting a canopy would be the big tiered style retail/wholesale shop displays. the bottom acrylic tank of the tier supports 2 or move above itself...full of water at that.... a regular canopy would weight alot less.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
images-16.jpeg
2015-09-20-14-38-16--376440132.jpeg

crappy pics...but u get the idea...gotta figure the sides of ur tank run straight down to the stand...into the floor... so u can rest a canopy on top of those side material edges no prob.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store