Acrylick thickness and reinforcement options for very deep aquarium

pavel100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
FL
Hi everyone, see below a picture of the present tank. As said, it's a 13' wide and 72'' high 2'' thick acrylic panel.

I would very much appreciate any comments / opinions on my plan to put 2 cast concrete columns with steel rebars in the center on the outside. Do you guys believe this will make the structure safe?

Thanks!!

Media CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00015.jpg

Plan.jpg

Burko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
"As said, it's a 13' wide and 72'' high 2'' thick acrylic panel."

Thats an awesome viewing window.

I'd just work out what depth the 2" will allow and fill it to suit. Theres no law saying it must be full...

pavel100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2010
FL
Thanks for your comment Burko.

Indeed, the separation is not something that I am happily doing in any way - it's a real pity to cut this window in pieces.

However, the aquarium connects to a terrace on the floor above (that's how the light is shining through it) - so if the water level would not cover the whole glass, it would destroy the water feature effect on the floor above. That's why I really want the glass to be fullly covered and the water level going even a few inches higher.

Pavel

Burko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
"That's why I really want the glass to be fullly covered and the water level going even a few inches higher."

Ahhh OK.

Personally I'm not fully convinced that the bracing wouldn't end up bowing its self...

Steal set in concrete might work but for such a large volume and deep depth I'd seek the advice of a professional.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

quovadis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
U S A
Ocean Railroader;4558194; said:
quovadis could you post a few photos of your large tank on this thread?

I'm woundering that if I get the right Acrylic for my ten by ten seven foot deep cinder block fish tank idea. I'm worried about how would I be able to build the over head steel frame that would go over top of the acrylic wall that would help hold in the viewing plannel?

Also how does adding the viewing planel work? Do you glue it on top the cinder blocks and pound armor? Or do you build a grove around the viwing window that allows the Acrylic sheet to fit into the grove and then the grove and the cinder blocks hold the viewing window into the side of the fish tank?
hey there sorry for the delay .it just that, i do not regularly check out old thread ,therefore i had no idea that you were addressing me perhabs by now you may have already found what you were looking for ,if you are still interested in seeing how my tank is erected , let me know and i will find a cam and send you some shots ..... by the way my pima is over 32 inches and doing very well in the tank///// P S ihve a thread on by the name of <<< me and my baby >>> check it out you will have an idea of what the tank looks like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store