African Pike

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Mines growin' pretty fast I'd say 1-2" a month and not a picky eater - eats anything with a daily staple of hikari floating stix. Tankmates - 3x Cudas species, Brycon, Chalceus, Vampire Scomb, ST and AT dats, Texas Escondido, Vampire Pleco, BGK, TSN, Gangantic leaf fish.

Easily one of my favorite Chaciformes.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mr.AzulBass;5022769; said:
Aquascape hasnt had them in in over a year so i gave up on them lol.
According to their site they have some in stock currently,that's why I mentioned them as another option.

Angler

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Colorado
Otherone;5023728; said:
Mines growin' pretty fast I'd say 1-2" a month and not a picky eater - eats anything with a daily staple of hikari floating stix. Tankmates - 3x Cudas species, Brycon, Chalceus, Vampire Scomb, ST and AT dats, Texas Escondido, Vampire Pleco, BGK, TSN, Gangantic leaf fish.

Easily one of my favorite Chaciformes.
Looks like I was mistaken that they are picky eaters.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Angler;5023799; said:
Looks like I was mistaken that they are picky eaters.
I wouldn't go that far as to say your mistaken - all toothed charciformes can be extermely difficult to ween and alot never do. Prior to purchase one must be ready to accept the fact and responsibility that not all of theses Pikes will ween. They may be buying feeders for many many moons and thats what it might take to own one. I just got lucky with this mine and yours is an absolute looker!

bridgefisher

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2010
N J
For what its worth, I just bought 2 red amazon cudas and an ODOE African Pike. The SA pikes were in a group they started beat each other up. My three are good together so far.

I have found that the more the merrier when fish are young. competition and learning from their bros works great for Pbass and cudas. My three ate frozen silversides after 10 feeders. never turned back. I have one baby red tail cuda and he is alone and only eats swimming fishes. cool to watch such an aggressive little bugger but still a pain.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
They grow pretty fast 1.5'' a month some times

they go good with same size cichlids , catfish, bichirs and eels

I must be lucky because mine eats pellets with out and trouble as we'll as pretty much all frozen food like cut up fish fillets and shrimp

killergoby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2011
northeast indiana
My african pike hasnt had any problems with his current tankmates: Marble Goby, RCK, Needlefish, and even a False Jaguar Catfish. In the past i had him with a Spotted pike-Characin too, I would be careful with keeping these two together as the Spotted Pike was considerably less agressive at feeding time and at night the African would chase him a bit. Nothing big, just a single scratch during their time together and a couple pinhead-size nicks in the fins, but still.
As far as feeding goes, mine will eat anything that moves very much, and I put in 5 goldfish over half his size to stop the picking on the Spotted pike-Characin and they got eaten, but im not sure if it was him, I bet so though because he spent all his time messing with them. I haven't tried to pellet train mine yet, I enjoy feeding him live too much and as of yet it hasnt gotten too expensive.
I have noticed some weird behavior with mine and was wondering if anyone else saw this with theirs. When he notices that I'm in the room, he goes to the front of the tank and swims back and forth and up and down for 2 or so minutes. When I sneak up and watch him when he hasnt seen me, he never does this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store