albino asian red tail catfish

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
thanks wayne the pain,............. they definately don't look alike, similar but not enough to mistaken,........... I've fished channel cats locally for years and I know what they look like, I've seen pictures of artc but not albino, but still, artc don't look like channels to me.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
wayne the pain;1455338; said:
Someone on here has had one for ten years in a 15,000g tank, and its only a foot long. doubt it ever gets to 24", but you never know.:)

I can't say for the albino's for sure, but minizookeeper here has a regular ARTC that is almost 24", I know that it's over 20".

here's one wild caught

from scotcat.com

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Mystus Redtail;1458013; said:
I can't say for the albino's for sure, but minizookeeper here has a regular ARTC that is almost 24", I know that it's over 20".

here's one wild caught

from scotcat.com
Think your getting things messed up a bit Mystus

Artc = Hemibagrus wyckioides Size easy 36

H nemurus = sometimes sold as artc, but not. size barely 18" if ever.

Not disputing size of H wyckioides, the confusion comes from people thinking H nemurus is anything like H wyckioides, size wise and being a Artc, not even got a red tail. Picture from the wild.:)

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
right on, I see what you mean, the name ARTC gets thrown around a lot, and since most dealer/distributors don't know a lot about them I can see why.

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Glad you said that, was going to give up trying to explain it :D

That's why i try and stick with scientific names, no mix ups then :)

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
my user name is proof of the confusion. I thought for a long time that the ARTC was Mystus Nemurus (per my copy of the book The World of Catfishes), then they changed the name to Hemibagrus Nemurus, then I found out that the fish is actually hemibagrus Wyckioides. Hence, my name was Mystus Redail, and as it turns out there is no such fish.

wayne the pain

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2005
Manchester, UK
Yeh even keeping up with the scientific names is bad enough.:irked:
Now post some pix of your Artc, and if you already have, point me in the right direction.;)

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
Here's some from Early Nov. I'll try to get some new ones when I get home from work. He's 11" now and definitely waiting for the 150 that should be here by the end of the week.

Mystus Redtail

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Fishing in Wisconsin
I should mention that he's eating 6 Massivores at a time twice per day, plus tons of rosies and comets that I put in for the scombs and rocket gars.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store