All Variants/Morphs of P. Senegalus?

plopped

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2023
1000087491.jpg
Here is my golden in a growth tank. Kinda wished she mutated to leucistic one. Please ignore the algae infested plants in background lol.

Reactions: litigator666

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Looks like I'll need to start hunting again. What color does it have when stressed/on white substrate?
They all looked the same. I bought 2 golden, one turned orangish other one looked almost platinum when settled in. my longfin ones are more bronze/brown.

SpecialKay

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2022
View attachment 1540475
Here is my golden in a growth tank. Kinda wished she mutated to leucistic one. Please ignore the algae infested plants in background lol.
That's a really nice golden Longfin ngl. Neither of my Longfin holds have finnage that well portioned, or that bright shade.

I do believe you have a boy though. The anal fin on a girl would be thin and translucent.

They all looked the same. I bought 2 golden, one turned orangish other one looked almost platinum when settled in. my longfin ones are more bronze/brown.
Hm, that makes it a bit harder, but the search is on! Hopefully I can find a longfin orange one. It would look so awesome next to a plat!

Reactions: plopped

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
I gave up on collecting them. I'm just sticking to what I like most. :ROFL:

Let's see for captive bred (excluding body types) I have seen:
Regular, Golden, Albino, and Platinum (all 4 have longfin variations)
Marbled (closest thing to a legit Xanthic if you can find a less marbling specimen)
Albino Marbled

Just a heads up, albino and golden have a variety of shades too.
Some albinos can be yellowish, orangish, or pinkish, or white.
Some golden can brownish (light and dark), orangish, and almost yellowish white.

some platinum can be creamy/yellowish white (generally labeled as leucistic), white white (generally labeled as platinum).
Indonesia loves to separate leucistic/platinum senegals but IMO, they are the same thing just comes in different shades (They are priced slightly different). Generally speaking, they get whiter as they grow bigger.

As for the wild caught variant:
I generally like to split them up as West African senegals and East African senegals.
West African senegals generally include: Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea, Congo, etc. Those generally look the same to me.I don't really see any significant difference.

As for East African: Most popular one I'm aware of is Lake Turkana ones. Those are probably the only wild caught senegals that have a different shape and get much larger than their West African counterpart. Recently, Japan has been trying to get Senegals from Nile River too so that'll be interesting to see if those are similiar to the Lake Turkana since it's in the East too.
koltsixx koltsixx

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
koltsixx koltsixx
Thanks again Hao Hao but I don't think you mentioned where you got the Golden or Marbled Sens, or maybe I missed it, can I ask where you got them?

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks again Hao Hao but I don't think you mentioned where you got the Golden or Marbled Sens, or maybe I missed it, can I ask where you got them?
Golden sen I got from Aquaigor_88 on instagram but he doesnt have anymore. I don't think anyone else has them right now. They aren't really imported too often. As for marbled senegalus you can probably find them on google. There should be several vendors selling them right now (not sure who has or sold out).

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Golden sen I got from Aquaigor_88 on instagram but he doesnt have anymore. I don't think anyone else has them right now. They aren't really imported too often. As for marbled senegalus you can probably find them on google. There should be several vendors selling them right now (not sure who has or sold out).
It's too bad I really liked the yellow coloration on the Sen. Quick search mostly yielded Poli's for sale as Marbled. Probably because of my search terms. I did see a Marbled Sen on Lone Star though so I may hit them up. Thanks Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
It's too bad I really liked the yellow coloration on the Sen. Quick search mostly yielded Poli's for sale as Marbled. Probably because of my search terms. I did see a Marbled Sen on Lone Star though so I may hit them up. Thanks Hao
Aquaigor_88, underground, monster aquarium, exotic fish guy, waterfront are all people who probably have/had marbled senegalus. You can compare prices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store