Appropriate glass thickness for 1000gal*

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Hello, I am asking for a friend here about her huge aquarium.

She is planning on building a 1000 gallon aquarium devoted to goldfish. But she has a simple question that I don't know the answer for, and was hoping you smart people could help. How thick should the glass be in inches? I've heard 1/2 inch is sufficient but anybody who has owned or built an aquarium of at least 1000 gallons before--any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Peach~ ;) (please reply soon!!!!!) thanks!

fishyboi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
HERE
Im sure it has to be thick maybe 3-5 inches not sure though

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
from what I was told. 1/4 glass is good up to 2 feet high. it doesn't matter how wide the tank is, it matters on how high the tank is. for some reason the higher the tank the thicker the glass. I think it has to do with the pressure of the weight of water. I see this in acrylic tanks as well as glass tanks. it seems you can have 2 tanks of equal gallons of water, one a high tank and the other standard, the high tank will have thinker glass. I checked out the site above, and I liked it. it is a good resource, everybody building a tank should use it. the only thing I can say is tell your friend to check into tempered glass. 1/4 temp. glass is = to 1 inch plate. 1/4 might be more expensive of equal size. but to buy a 1" think piece of plate will cost you a fortune. plus the plate glass would be very heavy, compared to the tempered glass. when your friend builds the tank you have to post pics of it... would like to see them....
andy

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
my 300g is 3/4" glass. 2 ft high

rook45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
new jersey
not sure but like andy said it does depend on height

RowingMunkeyCU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Rochester, NY
peaches said:
Hello, I am asking for a friend here about her huge aquarium.

She is planning on building a 1000 gallon aquarium devoted to goldfish. But she has a simple question that I don't know the answer for, and was hoping you smart people could help. How thick should the glass be in inches? I've heard 1/2 inch is sufficient but anybody who has owned or built an aquarium of at least 1000 gallons before--any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Peach~ ;) (please reply soon!!!!!) thanks!
How about some tenative dimensions on the tank? It's impossible to say how thick it needs to be without them.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
I think what you should worry about first is getting your friend off of goldfish :ROFL:

:uhoh:

andy123

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
PALM COAST FL
just think 1000 gal. aquarium, with no heater. what could be better.

another thing about the tank though, if your going to be putting goldfish in there. I would suggest that you build an indoor pond. 1000 gallons would be easier. and if you really wanted to go wild and crazy, I would add a water fall to it. most of the time gold fish are viewed from up above, unless there like a lion head or something along those lines. that's why I say a pond..
andy

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
The aquarium's dimensions are---
-8 feet long BY
-4.1 BY 4 feet high

Sorry I didn't mention this before. (Stupid me!) :screwy:

Thanks for all the input! It's very helpful.

Appreciate all your advice/suggestions greatly!

Peaches~

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store