Appropriate glass thickness for 1000gal*

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
is it plywood with a glass front or all glass id say 1 inch either way but for gold fish a pond would be the best bet

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
25mm is the minimum recommended thickness for a 4' tall tank.

peaches

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2005
Hi everyone!

Ok, she said she used the calculator I emailed to her and said she figured about 1 inch too like NIC said. That just sounds very wrong. I guess it's not though. I mean, I have a 100-hundred gallon aquarium with a glass thickness of 1/2 a inch!
And this is 1,000 gals! Anymore input on this from anybody else's wisdom I will be glad to read and respond to.

Meanwhile.... She has only had experience with goldfish--so that's why she has decided to put goldfish only in there!!!!!!!!! I think it's sort of crazy not to keep an Arapaima or a school of pacus or anything other than Goldfish in 1,000gals!!!! lol!

Which brings me to two more questions and then I'll stop bugging everyone---
She wants to know what 'other' fish she might try out in this size of aquarium...
And she also wants to know about what live plants she should keep. I don't even know what kind of lighting system you would have on that size aquarium. Should I just tell her to contact professional aquarium builders like Living Color??

At least they'll have much experience and know what thickness of glass they need!
We wouldn't want 1,000 gallons on the floor to clean up the next day.... (Or I guess she could pratice doing the backstroke in her living room also! lol!)

What easy to care for fish would be good in a 1,000 gallons? Especially for someone who has only had experience in goldfish. Maybe a school of Oscars, or a big school of large cichlids---Tinfoil barbs would be easy....And you could easily keep a dozen/two-dozen school in that size with some other fish.

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

Wooten_PE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
Gulf Shores, Alabama
water wieghs 62.4 lbs per cubic foot, sot he pressure at the bottom of a 4 foot deep tank is 249.6 lbs per square foot. If you can convert pressures into equivalent force and know the strength of glass, then the required thickness can be determined. I will try to remember to work something up after I get off work at 5.

1PunchKO

Jack Dempsey
Feb 4, 2010
Diamond Bar, CA
I don't expect to get any replies being that this original post is roughly 8 years old but I ran across it after googling the same exact question. I have a friend who is willing to give me two (2) 5/8" thick "Tempered" glass pains that are 4' x 6' each. I've built many aquariums over the years but never one made of wood or what I've seen others do with cement and/or steel framing. My thoughts were to put it alongside my pool as an above ground Koi run and wouldn't have solid glass run the entire distance but rather I'm thinking roughly 15' feet long (room for support beams at both ends and in the middle between each pane of glass. Sides, bottom and back would be all wood, cement and/or steel (open to suggestions and conversation).

Anyone here willing to revive this 8 year old conversation and share your experience as to whether the way I have this planned out will work with the 5/8" tempered glass I'd be given??? Thanks in advance.

Aboveground Koi Pond Concept.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store