At what size does the Nicaragua Cichlid start to color up?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
To be honest, if I knew I had to wait for these fish to get that big before they color up without getting the guranteed sex I want, I would have had second thoughts before I bought mines.
Understood but they’re definitely worth the wait. Both sexes look amazing but the females are outstanding

Reactions: EricTheRed

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
They looks nice, are they a different variety?
Different variety than the ones we have in the hobby, or different between the two pics? Second pic is the adult of the first as I'm sure you've deduced, but just wanted to make sure...

As for the ones we have in the hobby, there's a lot of the Costa Rican ones floating around, as they're the more colorful of the bunch, so yours will probably look like that to some degree. Your males at least. I was surprised to catch the little one with the big dot but apparently some are just like that, and end up like the big one anyway. The lake population ones tend to be more yellow.

Female from Max:
1000013125.png

The sarapiqui, where I caught the those two, eventually drains into the san juan (which is where Max Savchuk collected his), and itself drains into lake nicaragua. In asking Jeff Rapps about the potential for there to be more than one species, he said there isn't really THAT much of a difference, and that essentially it wouldn't be worth the hassle of looking into it any further.

While I do advocate for biodiversity in nomenclature and such, and I do believe there's a bit of distinction in behavior and morphology between populations, they are admittedly, as mentioned before, all connected by the same river drainage. If there's any precedent for the potential for speciation, just based on the amphilophus explosion in this particular lake, the best bet for another Hypsophrys sp in my opinion would be lake xiloa, as that's the only place they've been observed babysitting dovii fry. Just opinion till we see molecular data though.

1000013125.png

CichlidMan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2024
Different variety than the ones we have in the hobby, or different between the two pics? Second pic is the adult of the first as I'm sure you've deduced, but just wanted to make sure...

As for the ones we have in the hobby, there's a lot of the Costa Rican ones floating around, as they're the more colorful of the bunch, so yours will probably look like that to some degree. Your males at least. I was surprised to catch the little one with the big dot but apparently some are just like that, and end up like the big one anyway. The lake population ones tend to be more yellow.

Female from Max:
View attachment 1546187

The sarapiqui, where I caught the those two, eventually drains into the san juan (which is where Max Savchuk collected his), and itself drains into lake nicaragua. In asking Jeff Rapps about the potential for there to be more than one species, he said there isn't really THAT much of a difference, and that essentially it wouldn't be worth the hassle of looking into it any further.

While I do advocate for biodiversity in nomenclature and such, and I do believe there's a bit of distinction in behavior and morphology between populations, they are admittedly, as mentioned before, all connected by the same river drainage. If there's any precedent for the potential for speciation, just based on the amphilophus explosion in this particular lake, the best bet for another Hypsophrys sp in my opinion would be lake xiloa, as that's the only place they've been observed babysitting dovii fry. Just opinion till we see molecular data though.

View attachment 1546188
Yes I meant in the hobby, As you mentioned I noticed some are more yellowish, and some where both the male and female have blue coloring on their face, while some had the male looking almost completely drab at full adult size. Also, the one you got looks very nice btw!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Yes I meant in the hobby, As you mentioned I noticed some are more yellowish, and some where both the male and female have blue coloring on their face, while some had the male looking almost completely drab at full adult size. Also, the one you got looks very nice btw!
Unfortunately not mine... yet... Still waiting for someone to desperately need to get rid of a 125. But best of luck with yours, I'm sure they'll turn out nice. Not many people breed the yellow ones anymore from what I've seen, so that brings your odds up a bit lol

1000013130.jpg

Reactions: CichlidMan64

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017

Lyrar2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2024
2-3 inches I guess. their colors become more pronounced and vivid, with mature individuals displaying a striking combination of blues, greens, yellows, and reds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store