Attaching 2 tanks together

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Ok so if you have 2 4x2 tanks why in gods name would you choose to butt joint the 2' panels together instead of just using the 4' panels for the walls?
Finally...the voice of reason! :)

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
It's quite difficult to cut a10mm strip off a 4 foot (long) side thats 10mm thick which would be necessary twice. It's far simpler to join a 2 foot end pane with a 4 foot pane (thats been cut almost in half). You wouldnt need to cut out as many panels to rebuild either. Speaking as someone who builds most of my tanks myself.

A square tank shape is really under rated. One of my best showpiece tanks is a 10 x 10 x 3 foot tank set into a protruding corner with 3 steps down to a split level on one side. The fish interact much more when they can escape to the back and the stepped level provide a tank with 2 different heights.

• Love
Reactions: FINWIN

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Buying 2 4x2 tanks and modifing in the described manner would likely be a no no since the glass used is not designed for the increase pressure. Not just the sides but also the bottom panel.

Obtaining two 4x4 craked tanks is another matter ;)
-
Taking 2 4x2 tank and connecting them via drilling a large hole and using tubing or pvc with bulkhead in that manner would work since there is no increase in pressure on the glass (be aware that tempered glass is not suitable for hole drilling).
It's comments like these that drag MFK'ers down. Negative and mis-informed which drives lots of experienced members away. This is not a direct attack but constructive criticism.

Firstly, joining glass panels to make a tank happens for every single tank, but the joins are at corners.

Secondly, joining tanks with piping is quite difficult and expensive. You need a circular glass cutter for wider diameters and they are not easy to use. Cracking glass insets is very challenging even with heat. Wide diameter clear piping is also expensive and difficult to glue to glass. And if considering PVC - a single 200mm PVC fitting is about $50 and rises significantly with diameter. A 300mm diameter pipe length cost me $850 last week.

Yes, I've made tanks like these. Usually for distributed sumps

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store