Bamboo Shrimp.......

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Was at my LFS and they were selling Bamboo Shrimp. I have never seen these before and was wondering if they are a hardy species? They were pretty big, about 2" but the kid working at the store said that they were harmless to even small fish. True or not??

THANKS!

FlammingWoodChuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
California
I had one a long time ago. He didnt harm any of my fish. They are filter feeders. Have Fans to collect Food particles from the air. My advice if u do get 1 Make sure that there is NO WAY from it to escape. and if u are missing yours check your filter first. Mine went up into there and when i chnaged the filter media He would pop out

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Thanks for the info guys I think im gonna pass on these.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Don't pass them up!

I have 3 right now in my planted 35. One is two years old, one is a little over a year, the the thrid is new.

They are really cool, they sit in the filter flow with their little "fans" open to catch food. I have a power head near the bottom of my tank and they also sit in front of that. They will crawl around and pick stuff off the gravel sometimes. They change colors from bright red to orange and brown.

They like soft to neutral clean water with high flow areas so they can fan for food.

They are also known as wood shrimp and singapore shrimp.

BigPleco

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2005
Markesan, WI
Yeah theyre pretty cool little guys! I had a couple of them some years back and they were pretty fun to observe! Go for it!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Never had one so much as molest a neon and they will eat flake food that is drifted to them.

Catfish_Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2006
San Diego
Yeah I love these shrimp. I plan to have a community of different types of shrimp, they are definately on my list. Get a few they sell them for $6 here at Petco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store