Bamboo Shrimp.......

nick h

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2006
chicago
yeah they add that little bit of something to my planted tank. they never bother me and are real low maintenance. thats not to say they arent cool tho. id get em.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They do sometimes die for no apparent reason

Kimix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
NW Indiana/Chicago
Anyone know for sure or have an opinion if the Bamboo shrimp are from cold water or tropical water?

And if they are pure fresh or should have some salt?

Our LFS keeps the bamboo shrimp in cold water (goldfish section), and they seem to do great. I bought a few several times and put them into my community 30gallon and they never lasted very long.

I want to try again, but it just breaks my heart every time they die.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They are also sold as wood, Singapore, fan, and flower shrimp. They do best at a near neutral pH but are adaptable, they are sensitive to temperature changes and need temps between mid 70s F to mid 80s, They collect alwost all their food from the water column itself, espesially where there is a bit of currnt, They are a bit soft bodied so many fish eat them.
They will accept moderately brackish environment and their larvae require a strongly brackish water to mature.

StevePerry

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Be careful about what you house them with. I had one that was attacked and eaten right after he molted. I found the front part of the "shell", the back part, and some scattered shrimp meat. Poor lil' guy:cry:

toper777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2006
Toledo
They are cool i had one but it got sucked up in my power head. I got it out but it only lasted a few days after that it was the bigest one I've seen about 3 inches:(

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
There just selling people the bamboo too, they say they are "Bamboo" shrimp after all! :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store