Best Background For FlowerHorn??

Jdmxluv

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Koreatown
there are some cases where fh looks better in black background. but that 1 in a million. i have to agree with blue background. also. the brighter environment is better for the flowerhorn. if not the background maybe you can use bright gravels or you can use natural color sand. it works both way.

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Jdmxluv;4462572; said:
there are some cases where fh looks better in black background. but that 1 in a million. i have to agree with blue background. also. the brighter environment is better for the flowerhorn. if not the background maybe you can use bright gravels or you can use natural color sand. it works both way.
1 in a million? I see thousands in better coloration for black backgrounds...switch over to blue and they stress out for the entire week. :D

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I think that a lot of people that keep FH have vivid imaginations.

Gotta feed brand XYZ for big humpy head, must have certain color backgrounds, certain color gravel, exact water temp, add coral to every tank, yada-yada-yada.

:grinno:

Reactions: Nick120

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
RD.;4463117; said:

Gotta feed brand XYZ for big humpy head, must have certain color backgrounds, certain color gravel, exact water temp, add coral to every tank, yada-yada-yada.

Hehehe. :iagree:

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
RD.;4463117; said:

Agree.
If you want a show quality FH, then you going to have to fork up a couple hundred bucks for quality genetics. Food and environment only do so much.
If you want to argue cichlids DO NOT blend with their environment, then you my friend are an idiot. They dont contrast to try to stand-out.
Light sands bring out lighter colors. Ex; yellows reds oranges and light hues of blue and green.
Dark sands promote deep blues, maroons, true greens.
So it all depends on the fish in question. 9 times out of 10 medium light sand with blue backrounds bring out the desirable colors.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I can post scores of "cichlid" photos where a black background was utilized, and every color in the rainbow popped on those fish.

BTW - this discussion was about background color, not substrate colors.
A light substrate, with the correct lighting, can be used very effectively with a black background to acheive the same results as a lighter colored background. This whole "flowerhorn can't be kept in a black background" nonsense, is just that, nonsense.

I posted the following in one of the stickies in this section. (comments in quotes were posted by another member)

1. BACKGROUND: It CAN NOT be black! This is rule number 1. Even if you have a $1000 fish, if you have black background, they will turn gray,black,head goes down,redness will be washed away and etc...... No, they will not adjust over time. FHs love colorful environment. If you can't stand other color backgrounds other than black, well FHs aren't for you.

Talk about painting with a broad brush. Just like all groups of fish, some FH will darken to blend with their environment, but that in no way equates to stating that you cannot have a black background, and keep nice looking non-stressed FH that exhibit amazing color & pattern.

You later state:

Some people might get away with black background with bright colored gravel,decorations, and bright lighting. So if your background is permanently black, you "might"(different for every FHs) get away with colorful environment.

So why not just say that in the first place?

I don't mean to nit-pick, but info like this only confuses those new to the hobby, that don't understand the principles behind background and/or substrate colors, and how it can affect certain fish. Stating that one can't keep a FH in a tank with black background makes about as much sense as saying that you can't keep a CA cichlid in a black background, or they will turn gray, black, head goes down, redness will be washed away etc.
You might want to peruse the CA cichlid media lounge to see how ridiculous that statement is.

Does it get darker when there is a darker background because its trying to blend in or something

Sometimes. What happens is that the darker background/substrate can sometimes trigger a morphological change within the chromatophore cells of the fish. You can read more about this in the following link.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/aqscisubw...coloration.htm

I personally keep a Thai Silk, King Kamfa, and a Red Diamond, all in tanks with black background, with black substrate (more like very light gray under the lighting I use) and it in no way has imparted a negative color impact on my fish. Much of this will fall under personal preference, and what the FH owner finds will bring out what they personally feel is the best in their fish.

Just another opinion I thought that I would toss out for those that are considering background and/or substrate color.

HTH

Camphilophus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
Howell, Michigan
It all depends on the fish and your personal preference. I've had plenty of tanks with black backgrounds and my fish look great in front of them. My fish also have good genetics, good food and clean water which plays the biggest role in all of it. Anybody stating that one background is better than another is wrong they're just giving you their opinion. I could care less what anybody else thinks of my fish/tank as long as it looks good to me and my fish is happy I am as well. Blue is also good, so is purple, and one of my favorites backgrounds is the textured spray paint from rustoleum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store