Best color substrate to use?

Tsc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
USA
So what color substrate do you guys think is the best to use for american cichlids like jds, oscars, convicts, ect.? I am thinking about going with the black tahitian moon sand...any suggestions?

haywood

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
nj
Depends. On Albio Oscars black sand looks awesome. It's all personal preference, but I like contrast.

Bb66cuda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2006
San Jose, CA
Use 3M colorquartz, it's much better than tahaitian moon. I would go with dark sand if you have a light background or vice versa. Don't do black on black, it's too dark.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I usually mix TMS & PFS and use a black background. I like the way TMS looks but it's so lite that any digging or sudden movement blows the stuff right up into the filter intake. I found mixed is the best way to use it. I have also mixed PFS with natural gravel and that's a good look too. If you go with the TMS I do about 30% black with 70% light.

sAroock

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
Melbourne Australia
i personally like white sand with patches of black pebbles and a black background.

However you should take in consideration the cleaning factor rather than looks. Pea pebbles? for easy vacuuming

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
I dont really care for dark colored substrate. I just used pool filter sand and my CA/SA cichlids love it and so do the African cichlids, not to mention it looks REAL natural.

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
74ray;4432647; said:
Use 3M colorquartz, it's much better than tahaitian moon. I would go with dark sand if you have a light background or vice versa. Don't do black on black, it's too dark.
^i agree.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Tsc123;4432621; said:
So what color substrate do you guys think is the best to use for american cichlids like jds, oscars, convicts, ect.? I am thinking about going with the black tahitian moon sand...any suggestions?

The BEST color substrate I use is natural Pea Gravel from Home Depot.........

goestonemoa

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2010
okotoks ab
www.ghosttowntattoos.com
i have 4 diferent colors of substrate of different sizes
so its up to you and the color of your fish
i like to use apposing colors ....or colors with contrast(green against orange......baby blue rocks brown fish or the other way around)
trial and error
have agood one hope this helps

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store