Best color substrate to use?

DanG13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
In a van down by the river.
I use to only have 3M colorquartz "T" grade (black) in my tanks but have since started using smaller sized river rock from Home Depot. It has a great combo of natural dark & light colored rocks. I switched due to the fact that the river rock was under $4 bag, can't beat that ;).

"pic with the river rock"

eatingleg4peanut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Maryland
I prefer natural small round riverrock gravel or white/earth colored sand, as my tanks are all setup to be natural looking.

Tsc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
USA
Alright, it looks like I might try some lighter colored sand...but how does the substrate color affect the fishes coloring?

PostalPenguin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2010
Denver CO
If you go with light colored sand, paint the back of the tank black. My 55g has regular play sand and before I painted it the fish were paler and colors less noticeable. Once I painted it black the fish darkened up considerably so now their colors stand out, especially against the lighter sand.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Aquanero;4433096; said:
I usually mix TMS & PFS and use a black background. I like the way TMS looks but it's so lite that any digging or sudden movement blows the stuff right up into the filter intake. I found mixed is the best way to use it. I have also mixed PFS with natural gravel and that's a good look too. If you go with the TMS I do about 30% black with 70% light.
do you have any pics Aquanero? would love to see the combo?

I been asking myself the same question about my new tank i will be setting up soon.
i wat to paint the back black but i'm thinking about a dark substrate aswell but worried it might be to dark?? I could go with black background and lighter sand or brown 3d rock back ground and black sand still deciding myself....some pics might help me decide a bit easier.
What colour is pool filter sand?

m1ste2tea

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Syracuse, NY
It depends also on how strong your lighting is. If its weak, id suggest using white/light colored sand as it is the main reflecting surface facing perpendicularly to your lighing system, it will help the fish stand out. If you have a powerfull light then go with a black/dark substrate. it will not grow as much algae and will make for a more dramatic look for your fish

Tsc123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
USA
fg4608;4445341;4445341 said:
Where do you guys get the 3M Color quartz? I've been looking since I'd like to compare it to TMS...
I am pretty sure that you have to be located near a 3M supplier of some sort, or find the rare shop that has some. Unfortunatly there are not a ton of suppliers around, but you should be able to find there locations by calling or going to there websites. And please, someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

Aisle17AorE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
I like Schultz's Plant Soil, which is just a lighter baked ceramic "Eco-complete" as near as I can tell; it ups the bio factor and keeps the water clearer, and is that sandstone rust color (colour up here!) that contrasts with your fish colors. And it's 20% of the price of Eco-complete (here we get it at Rona, an American owned builders supply) (British Columbia)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store