Best Dither Fish

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami I created this thread for people to post their favorite dither but since you asked I have a 125 with 1 green terror, 1 belly crawler pike cichlid, and 1 Senegal bichir. They are all small and have been getting along fine but the tank looks kind of empty

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm currently using a group of electric blue acara as dithers as my T ellioti picked on my bichir, now everyone is happy.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
Couldn’t my green terror breed with electric blue acara?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Couldn’t my green terror breed with electric blue acara?
Yes it could potentially
For your tank I would recommend larger SA characins. Silver dollars would work fine. Any other cichlids that you added to distribute aggression would not really be "dithers" to me, but target fish.
15-iloveimg-converted.jpg
Here is a south american themed tank I had a couple years back. The crenicichla were the only cichlids, and the dithers were redhook myleus silver dollars.

Though they are not geographically correct for any cichlid, and thus not my first choice; I have found that large barbs work very well for aggressive cichlids. I had these clown barbs years back which got to about 5-6" and were very speedy swimmers. They worked as dithers (also partially target fish due to larger size) for my vieja and amphilophus who could never seem to catch them.
cb2.JPG

But my favorite dithers that I have kept recently, would probably be the Ameca splendens that I kept a few years ago in a central american themed setup. I also had some Belonesox Belizanus with them but I can't seem to find pictures of those.
Ameca Splendens
DSC_8578.JPG

Also got this rare wild type swordtail at auction years back and I still have him, he lives with my panamensis cichlid. Mean little bastard, his species name is Xiphophorus Kallmani "La margarita catemaco", supposedly coming from rusty wessell's wild collection stock
DSC_8918.jpg

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami what fish would you recommend on Wet Spot? I’m ordering from there because it’s one of the only places that has a belly crawler.
Thanks for writing all of that!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
.Personally I decide what the dither fish will be for cichlids based on region.

carsonrm01 carsonrm01 tell us about your setup (tank size, stock) and we would be able to recommend a dither. Without that info, recommending anything is just shooting in the wind.
I agree with the above,
Not only because combining differing geographic areas looks a bit off to me, but combing fish from similar ecological water parameters helps in the general health of the tank.
With many Mexican and Central American Cichlids great dither swould be large enough live bearers that normally share their habitat, and live in water parameters with high mineral content..

For southern Central Americans, and South Americans from west of the Andes, tetras are some of the most common habitat sharing species.
In my current Panamanian tank Roeboides genus tetras are working well, caught in the same pH 8 and above waters

For Amazonian species the tetras that are adapted to the soft more acidic , low pH waters work well.

For southern South Americans, as suggested above, Buenos Aires tetras are great, not only because they share habitat, and water parameters like hardness, but also cooler more seasonal water temps.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
duanes duanes would anything in my setup be able to eat the Buenos Aires tetras?
most of the fish you mentioned are not on Wet Spot. I have to order from there because they have what I need. What would you recommend on Wet Spot?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami what fish would you recommend on Wet Spot? I’m ordering from there because it’s one of the only places that has a belly crawler.
Thanks for writing all of that!
Looks like they only have one type of silver dollar, the schomburgkii. They would be ideal. You can also usually find normal silver dollars locally, pretty common fish. Some other fish in the wet spot's characin list would likely be OK for a while but once full size the pike may be able to snack on them. Colombian tetras come to mind.

carsonrm01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2020
The one silver dollar is 35 each so Im going to look for regular silver dollars at my LFS. Do silver dollars need to have a vegetable in their diet everyday Gourami Swami Gourami Swami ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Depending on the sis of the BA tetras, an adult belly crawler could easily eat them.
I usually try to keep dithers to that are almost the size of the cichlids, my current tank below with Roeboides tetras.
Panamanian Tank

Whatare the other cichlids in your tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store