Best dry food for C/A cichlids? Northfin vs NLS?

ccichc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Did some digging.
Northfin has higher protein content as well and less fiber (fillers) and fish oil being in nearly all of NLS products is not a good thing. It’s well known to be a polyunsaturated fat and can oxidize fairly quickly. I highly doubt they’re using the best quality fish oil either.

Northfin it is :)

Reactions: AR1

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Both contain similar ingredients, and fibre does not always equate to fillers. Think algae. Most CA cichlids are going to be omnivorous, so some fibre will be ingested in the wild. Your fish oil comment makes no sense whatsoever. Fish eating fish, all consume lipids and their fatty acids derived from, fish. Fish oil is going to be found in any fish food that contains fish, including Northfin and NLS.

ccichc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Both contain similar ingredients, and fibre does not always equate to fillers. Think algae. Most CA cichlids are going to be omnivorous, so some fibre will be ingested in the wild. Your fish oil comment makes no sense whatsoever. Fish eating fish, all consume lipids and their fatty acids derived from, fish. Fish oil is going to be found in any fish food that contains fish, including Northfin and NLS.
A fish in nature consuming fresh/live prey might have some fish oils buts it not sitting there oxidizing overtime like all polyunsaturated fats do. Oil sitting in a container overtime will oxidize and fairly fast, this is a known thing in health.

• Haha
Reactions: RD.

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Chicagoland
A fish in nature consuming fresh/live prey might have some fish oils buts it not sitting there oxidizing overtime like all polyunsaturated fats do. Oil sitting in a container overtime will oxidize and fairly fast, this is a known thing in health.
If you’re so knowledgeable about health and fish food then I’d assume you’d be able to answer your simple question easily enough.

ccichc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
If you’re so knowledgeable about health and fish food then I’d assume you’d be able to answer your simple question easily enough.
Indeed, which is why I said I’m going with Northfin. I thought I’d make a thread and ask folks for their experiences for both. I also figured this question has never been asked, tons and tons of hikari vs omega vs NLS. The google search needs more information on NLS/Northfin :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I don’t have the time to explain the fundamentals of fish nutrition. Spend some time reviewing my comments over the years, that might clarify some things for you.

And Northfin has been discussed plenty over the years, the owner has been on here as well. Good luck.
But at the end of the day, I stand by my initial comment, the best food will be the one your fish readily consumes. My 15” Midas that eats pretty much anything I toss in his direction, won’t touch NF. I’m still feeding my last bag of large floaters to the magpies and crows.

Reactions: tlindsey

ccichc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I don’t have the time to explain the fundamentals of fish nutrition. Spend some time reviewing my comments over the years, that might clarify some things for you.

And Northfin has been discussed plenty over the years, the owner has been on here as well. Good luck.
But at the end of the day, I stand by my initial comment, the best food will be the one your fish readily consumes. My 15” Midas that eats pretty much anything I toss in his direction, won’t touch NF. I’m still feeding my last bag of large floaters to the magpies and crows.
Believe me I have researched thoroughly on this subject on Google and all the previous nutrition threads that you yourself were apart of. There’s not a whole going on about Northfin is all, which is why I made this thread. I wouldn’t expect your fish to eat Northfin when you’ve been solely feeding them NLS their entire lives. Didn’t you work for NLS too? I could have sworn you advertised for them. EDIT: you imported NLS into Canada to retailers.

Polyunsaturated fats oxidize and go rancid, it’s carcinogenic and damages DNA. Might have a different affect on fish but I highly doubt it’s beneficial to them. It’s not like they’re taking capsulated fish oil in the Amazon lol let alone oxidized oil that’s exposed to oxygen. Would be an interesting study to test, the natural fats and lipids found in their diets from live fish, etc is very different.

I am not bashing NLS, it’s a fine food that I’ve used before. Better than nearly all of them besides Northfin IMO.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store