brachyplatystoma filamentosum Grow out thread.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Wouldn’t say it’s bad growth. Had her 6 months. From small. Just the difference in bulk feeding and not. I’m happy with it

Haven’t put an tape on her yet. She may be larger, always expected around 18” from small in a year. That what I’ve a seen.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I know, just joshing Josh... See what I did there lol. My 13" & 28" only eat pellets, no longer feed on thawed fish or feeder. My Suriname still eats feeders. Wish they could revert back to feeding thawed fish, less expensive
So your piraibas prefer pellets too like mine do? I've been fretting over why mine do it (it's harder to have a 3' piraiba get a full feeding on pellets, plus my pellets are cheap and rather poor). Do yours even take pellets and leave live feeders alone??? That, if true, would blow me away!

Reactions: moe214

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
So your piraibas prefer pellets too like mine do? I've been fretting over why mine do it (it's harder to have a 3' piraiba get a full feeding on pellets, plus my pellets are cheap and rather poor). Do yours even take pellets and leave live feeders alone??? That, if true, would blow me away!
I give them massivore, had to mix with saki hikari, at least yours take cheap pellets. Mine won't. Even 28" feed on a handful of pellets a day, can't imagine a 3'-er.

Both of my piraiba, 28" & 13" leave others alone, even feeders. The only predator in the tank are wels

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Both of my piraiba, 28" & 13" leave others alone, even feeders. The only predator in the tank are wels
IDK if you remember, our bigger piraiba, the one from Suriname, was preying on walking catfish when in the other 4500 gal, the less monstrous one. IIRC, it has taken down at least three 1.5' walking catfish, ignoring any pellets and thawed fish. Hence, it was transferred to the current 4500 gal. I describe it in our piraiba thread.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Great fish.
if this was a pick up from Pier in September18 then it's possibly a sibling of the one I picked up there in February labelled as a capa. The one i picked up had been "lost" in a tank and hardly fed. They had it recovering in the back room, hence the difference in size and the price not altering. Mine however does not get to chose pellets. He's currently in a 150g with a Tigrinus, bagarius and a tiger shovelnose all at circa 9" growing on. He feeds on sprat heads and tails, mussels and white fish bits.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Great fish.
if this was a pick up from Pier in September18 then it's possibly a sibling of the one I picked up there in February labelled as a capa. The one i picked up had been "lost" in a tank and hardly fed. They had it recovering in the back room, hence the difference in size and the price not altering. Mine however does not get to chose pellets. He's currently in a 150g with a Tigrinus, bagarius and a tiger shovelnose all at circa 9" growing on. He feeds on sprat heads and tails, mussels and white fish bits.
Yes dave. Yours is from the same batch that came in. I’m guessing he survived the ph spike you had, good news. Amazing how hardy they are for Bratchyplatosoma sp.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store