Breeding Red Devil x Flowerhorn

atm82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2014
Arizona
Cool, thank you. From the "research" I have done, I have found that most will turn out to be red devil looking. I was just wondering if you could get any pearling out of any of them.

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
Breeding with red devil will give the fry a long snout which doesnt look great.

You can try a midas

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

atm82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2014
Arizona
Post some pics of your project fish, if your FH is pearly you should get some to fade with some pearls.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well the flowerhorn is the one in my avatar. As for the red devil, it is at my brothers house until I can get my bigger tank set up. I believe it is female. I am not positive though.

The flowerhorn is believed to be a Thai-silk Kamfa. And the red devil I think is a midevil, it doesn't appear to be pure, which I have heard a lot that it is more common for them to be hybrids as well.

atm82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2014
Arizona
Breeding with red devil will give the fry a long snout which doesnt look great.

You can try a midas

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I was thinking of trying to do midas, I like the look of the midas more. I also was reading that the fry would most likely get the body shape of the red devil, which I am not too hot on. So I might try midas if I can find one.

Or I might just find a pretty female flowerhorn and breed them.

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
I was thinking of trying to do midas, I like the look of the midas more. I also was reading that the fry would most likely get the body shape of the red devil, which I am not too hot on. So I might try midas if I can find one.

Or I might just find a pretty female flowerhorn and breed them.
The reason for the responses you were given to your question is that the Amphilophus family of cichlids (this includes both midas and red devils among a few others) is where the fader genes come from in faded flowerhorns rather it is directly or through another hybrid carrying their genes like a blood parrot. Also while some get their fish to pair up nicely with no problems we are talking about some of the most aggressive cichlids in the hobby and it is not uncommon for either sex to kill the other. This can happen when first introduced, during a spawning, during egg care, after eggs hatch or after the fry become free swimming. It can even happen with a pair that has bred and raised fry several times just fine then BAM!! a dead fish. If you are attached to either of the fish you want to breed do as much research as possible about how to minimize the risk and watch them carefully at all stages during breeding them. They really are not a beginner fish to try and breed and the fry can be just as tenacious with each other as the adults.

atm82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2014
Arizona
The reason for the responses you were given to your question is that the Amphilophus family of cichlids (this includes both midas and red devils among a few others) is where the fader genes come from in faded flowerhorns rather it is directly or through another hybrid carrying their genes like a blood parrot. Also while some get their fish to pair up nicely with no problems we are talking about some of the most aggressive cichlids in the hobby and it is not uncommon for either sex to kill the other. This can happen when first introduced, during a spawning, during egg care, after eggs hatch or after the fry become free swimming. It can even happen with a pair that has bred and raised fry several times just fine then BAM!! a dead fish. If you are attached to either of the fish you want to breed do as much research as possible about how to minimize the risk and watch them carefully at all stages during breeding them. They really are not a beginner fish to try and breed and the fry can be just as tenacious with each other as the adults.
I know the the fader gene can come from the Amphilophus Labiatus or the Citrinellus, but I was just wondering as o the fry being fader. Say, how many would become fader, how many may possibly not fade... I am not planning on breeding the two anytime soon (that is if my midevil is female), I was just wanting some information on them is all. I am by no means a fish breeder. I am a noob at breeding any type of fish; I am just interested in getting into it and trying to learn as much as possible before I start messing around with it.

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
+1 I bred a male dovii and a female texas and after three successful spawns he wanted to spawn she didnt and he had bitten her belly so much that he pilled the scales off and she cowd down and hid in a cave where she died I thought she gave in and layed cause she refused food while in the cave and she was a female that was completely dedicated to her nest and wouldn't eat with it and as for the fry a current batch of ts x rd im raising are mean enough to take eachother out and then one that loses that dies the others will fight over the carcass so if this happens when im away the remnants of a loser are gone by time I get back the fry started being this aggressive before a inch long so when your successful keep a eye out early for fry that show potential and separate them

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

atm82

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2014
Arizona
+1 I bred a male dovii and a female texas and after three successful spawns he wanted to spawn she didnt and he had bitten her belly so much that he pilled the scales off and she cowd down and hid in a cave where she died I thought she gave in and layed cause she refused food while in the cave and she was a female that was completely dedicated to her nest and wouldn't eat with it and as for the fry a current batch of ts x rd im raising are mean enough to take eachother out and then one that loses that dies the others will fight over the carcass so if this happens when im away the remnants of a loser are gone by time I get back the fry started being this aggressive before a inch long so when your successful keep a eye out early for fry that show potential and separate them

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Do you have any pictures of the parents / fry by chance, if you do not mind sharing.

onefowl1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
United States
I know the the fader gene can come from the Amphilophus Labiatus or the Citrinellus, but I was just wondering as o the fry being fader. Say, how many would become fader, how many may possibly not fade... I am not planning on breeding the two anytime soon (that is if my midevil is female), I was just wanting some information on them is all. I am by no means a fish breeder. I am a noob at breeding any type of fish; I am just interested in getting into it and trying to learn as much as possible before I start messing around with it.
There is no way anyone could answer all of this as to how many would or would not fade/peel. Main reasons are you have not even put up pictures of the potential parents and even then we do not know the genetics behind the parents just what you can visually see. This and the fact it can very from brood to brood. I have broods hatch in the 1000-1500 range in some of my pairs and over the first two weeks have them drop off to around 200 which is still a good many to raise up. I used to try and raise every single one I could up when i first started but soon learned just how unrealistic that is as a small time fish keeper. So now by the time they are around 3/4 an inch i pick out around 24-36 to raise up and feed the rest off to other fish or my turtles. This means that i probably feed off many that would have faded and may have been real stunners but i feel i am giving my fish the best chances by thinning them down to a number that i can house healthily.
In your first post of this thread you gave the impression that you did not know that the fader gene came from this kind of cross which is well covered on this forum if you would have done a search about it and led to the answer of "are you serious". It is a gene that only one dose is needed to express so yes you can get fry expressing it first cross, again well covered in many other threads on this forum. Many more fry in a cross like this will carry it and not express it. If your flowerhorn is already a carrier not expressing it then just about all the fry would express the fading as some would have one dose and others would now have two doses from the parents ( but this all depends on the genetics behind both parents which we on here do not know and you seem to not know.).
As to the fry looking more like a red devil or midevil. I do not believe it as I use these fish in my breeding projects and do not have that problem. more prob too many fry were raised together and the ones with the most devil genes offed the others. lol . What i do believe is if the wrong fish are used as the breeders then inferior fry will be produced. For example using a midevil or red devil without a big nice kok on them will lead to flowerhorn fry with little or no kok which most would say ruins an essential part of what makes a flowerhorn a flowerhorn. If you want to make a fader flowerhorn using your male why not find a female fader flowerhorn or a rose queen parrot or red mammon? Any of these would give you some fry that would fade while preserving what makes a flowerhorn a flowerhorn. Leave the more complex breeding requiring several generations and hundreds if not thousands of gallons of tank space to create what you asked. Now if you just want to try and raise a batch to see how they turn out and learn from it knock yourself out just have a responsible outlet for what you produce/raise up. By the way I am up to around 2700 gallons with all my tanks and ponds running and I am out of room for two batches of fry hatched and free swimming right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store