Building My 15,000 Gallon Mini Mega Tank

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
kamikaziechameleon;4995055; said:
IS that a mono I see in your tank. I would ask have you had any issue keeping them to adult hood in fresh water?
I do have a monodactylus sebae in the 15,000. Also one left in the 52,000.

The one in the 15,000 is only 3 years old and doing well in fresh water.

The one in the 52,000 is 10 years old, in fresh water the past 8 and in the big tank. It is doing OK but seems to have old age catching up.

I enjoy monos and keep 12 Monodactylus argentea in the 225 with my Gymnothorax flavagineus in straight salt. I have another 17 Monodactylus sebae in a 180 with fresh to brackish at times water.

DSC_9827.JPG

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Amazing eel. I have kept monos only in fresh and had no issues from that but I always here people saying its bad for the fish and will kill it.

I currently have 3 monos in this tank :

your tanks are amazing.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
No one can beat up on a mono like a mono. They are about as friendly to each other as a small gang of piranha :) I think they terrorize the cichlids with their antics. They definitely need 4X the tank real-estate already though. They can fly so fast they are already getting abrasions on their lips from running into stuff.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I imagine the coolest thing you probably get out of your tanks is seeing more natural behavior from the fish not the type that is manufactured in our tiny ones. Wow so awesome. If I ever get a 1000 gallon or larger tank I would probably not have anything larger than a frontosa I'd love nothing more than a giant school of monos or rainbows. You have really inspired me to get better accommodations for my fish after I move.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
I used to have Mono Argentus for almost 3 years but they didn't make it through the move back to chicago. The sebae are pretty cool but I miss my old guys there where getting pretty hefty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store