Bumble Bee Catfish

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
I seen these in a store a few days ago, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them. such as how big they get, what they eat, etc. Also if anyone has kept these before. And your oppinions. Thanks for the help

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
well, there are several species of catfish under the name, "bumble bee".

if it's the asian kind, then it's a small, shy and peaceful community fish.

if it's the giant south american kind, then it'll get about 10", territorial and have a voracious appetite.

there are other species, but they're rarely seen.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah...there a a bunch of catfish that go by this name. I used to have an Asian Bumble Bee. Gorgous fish. It grew to 8" and would have been good for a mid-size fish community. I've also had the South American Bumble Bee Cat, but this cat was small. It was no bigger than 2" and it was pretty peacefull. Both of them were great and the one thing they had in common was that they both liked to hide.

Riceman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
virginia, us
They come out so rarely that you can really notice their growth when you do see them. Its like a special treat when you get s quick glimpse. Cool fish!:thumbsup:

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
well, there are several species of catfish under the name, "bumble bee".

if it's the asian kind, then it's a small, shy and peaceful community fish.

if it's the giant south american kind, then it'll get about 10", territorial and have a voracious appetite.

there are other species, but they're rarely seen.
Are you sure you don't have tha backwards? I could have sworn the SA one was the smaller.

I have one from Petsmart that was labeled a SA bumblebee. They are fun little fish and very attractive, mine comes out evey day to eat and zips around the tank...unlike the rapheal cat I once had who hid even with food in the water.

Snake_Eyes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Nebraska
I've had mine for over a year now and it's about 2" long. I drop a couple shrimp pellets by his hide twice a week and he gets frozen mysis shrimp once a week and whatever flake food that gets past the other fish. It's a beautiful, hardy fish and luckily where his hide is I'm able to see him whenever I want. :headbang2

big E

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2005
the French Part of Compton
These are good catfish, I like the asian ones myself, and yeah they hide a lot! :D

Ruger345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
Germantown,MD
I agree with everyone here. It is a very nice fish to keep, but don't plan on seeing it everyday.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I see mine everyday :) He's a freak, comes out even if there is no food to be had.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Uhm just for clairfication its the south american bumble bee that stays small about 2.2" not the asian. The asian bumble bee grows larger about 6 inches. Both will eat anything that fits in its mouth but if you have larger fish then it, it will work fine in a comm. tank. Both south american and asian are noctournal feeders and tend to hide alot esp. where it is dark. You can usually ID the two but the difference in barbs and wiskers and where they are located, also you can tell by the tail as there are 4 dif. species : M. poecilus (stripe towards end and spots on tail), M. iheringi (tail same color with black striped towards end), M. parahybae (tail starts with black goes to a small gap of orange then back to black), M. secundus (tail has only spots). If the tail is the same color as the fish and has a black stripe towards the end then its a south american. South Americans are usually the more common one to find in a lfs. You can pretty much put them with anything that isnt small and they will do fine just make sure they have a good dark hiding spot. I have a south american one myself full grown (2ish inches) and I keep him with my african tang cichlids and he does very well with them. I love this catfish very cool little guy, one of my fav. catfish. Some say that they can sting though if you pick them up wrong - not sure if thats true or not though as I never tried. Anyways hope that helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store