Bumble Bee Catfish

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. They can sting, all catfish can with those hard pointy spines. I have been stung by corydoras.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Bumblebees hurt alot more than other cats. Mine stung me and it actually swoll up.:D

Lund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2006
Michigan
Thanks the good info. I bought two of them, and thanks to pufferextreme, it looks like I got the SA Bumblebee cats. Unless there marking are all very simmilar. The ones the links provided by puffer look a lot like mine.

ps. Mine hide until feeding time. Then they come out and zoom around the tank like rockets eating everything they can get into there mouths. They are fast becoming my favorite fish in my tank!

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
ok, what species, Pseudopimelodus bufonius, or rainius? It took forever, but I finally found out which I got. The bumble bee jelly catfish. which grows to about 10" Mine hides alot, about 3.5", and tons of room at that size in a 120 gal tank.

Redtail_Watcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
sandtiger;403286; said:
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. They can sting, all catfish can with those hard pointy spines. I have been stung by corydoras.
DId it hurt?

Did you know that alot of can fish species has venom in their spines?? It is not enough to kill you or get you sick, some of the catfishes like the channel or the tiger shovel cat hurt aloooottt! i been stung by both of the my tiger shovel hurts the most my hand one time hurt/sore for two weeks!:nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store