C. Regani "tapajos" possible spawning behavior

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
So I picked up a group of these a little while ago and they are still all cramped up in my quarantine tank, but recently I've noticed one female in particular has coloured up more than the others. Today I noticed her and my biggest male hanging out and flaring at each other. I think it's prob spawning behavior. I took a video on my phone, it's pretty terrible so I'll try and take a better one if I can.

My male
My female

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
So I picked up a group of these a little while ago and they are still all cramped up in my quarantine tank, but recently I've noticed one female in particular has coloured up more than the others. Today I noticed her and my biggest male hanging out and flaring at each other. I think it's prob spawning behavior. I took a video on my phone, it's pretty terrible so I'll try and take a better one if I can.

My male
My female
They look great. Good luck!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
So a small update on these guys, I had to move the other 3 crenicichla out of this tank, the pair had beaten one almost to death and the other 2 look pretty trashed as well, so I moved them off to a 50g I have running. I don't know if the one most badly beaten will survive, but the other 2,male and female, were flaring at each other in their new home. If they paired up that would be a bit of a silver lining

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
So a small update on these guys, I had to move the other 3 crenicichla out of this tank, the pair had beaten one almost to death and the other 2 look pretty trashed as well, so I moved them off to a 50g I have running. I don't know if the one most badly beaten will survive, but the other 2,male and female, were flaring at each other in their new home. If they paired up that would be a bit of a silver lining
Oh. Offer the beaten one lots of food hopefully he'll pull thru. Good luck on the pairs and spawning. Would be cool post more pics of them!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Oh. Offer the beaten one lots of food hopefully he'll pull thru. Good luck on the pairs and spawning. Would be cool post more pics of them!
hopefully she'll pull through, I've have to rig up a (very) diy shelter/breeder box type thing to protect her from the other two who are crusing the tank together as a team now.

for those who have bred this species, is there any specific trigger for spawing or how long do they typically stay paired before they try to spawn?

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Hi, I've just spawned my C. regani and they have about 100, 2 week old fry. At the moment they are in a 40 x 15 x 18 tank, with sand substrate. I have bred this species quite a few times, this one iS the Rio Negro variant, I also have "purus" and "barcelos" at the moment.
no there usually isn't any specific things happen before they spawn. Females gain a nice red stomach and get full of eggs, they then select a spawning site, I've had them spawn in coconut shells, proper caves and under bog wood. Usual spawn size in around 100 to 150.
They usually respond to lowering the ph and also gh, mine have just spawned in 5.5 ph, and 2gh, but you don't need water parameters this low.
Fry free swim after about 1 week, let yolk sack dissapered, then feed b/S nauplii.
Speed of growth is quite amazing, the fry can be ready to spawn at around 13 weeks !!!!

Growing fry on is easy, I remove mine from parents into own tank at 4 weeks, given daily, small water changes and fed 4 times a day on chopped frozen food, they grow like and.
Good luck
Graham

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
this pair didn't spawn for me so I have moved them as well as the other 3 into my 125g. the pair seemed to drift apart and she would hide all the time and he would chase her around when she showed. kind of sad because they were so tight before. hopefully having another male in the tank to compete with and other cichlids around will solidify their bond. if not I have the other 2 females in the tank for him to choose from and there is a ton of space and places to hide so the aggression should be less intense, I hope.

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Hi Jamandtoast,
I would stick with it, they will be okay. I simply provide them with loads of hiding places, especially at first, before they form pairs.
You will find that females often take a beating before pairing up.
I've found with many of my regani species that the female usually grows faster than males, but the males soon catch up.
Just keep providing them with good food, warm clean water, and loads of hiding places.
good luck
graham

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Just an update on my C.regani. The fry are now 4 weeks old, and are due to be moved from the adults this weekend. They are now almost 15 mm, and look really good. I have around 100 fry.
They will be housed in a 48 x 12 x 18" tank, temp set at about 27C, ph will be gradually raised from ph6 to ph 7. 5, so that I can sell them so that other buyers don't struggle adjusting their ph.

They are now off brineshrimp and happily munching their way through frozen foods at an alarming rate.
The main thing at this stage is putting the water changes in, they get about 15% every day
Graham

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Just an update on my C.regani. The fry are now 4 weeks old, and are due to be moved from the adults this weekend. They are now almost 15 mm, and look really good. I have around 100 fry.
They will be housed in a 48 x 12 x 18" tank, temp set at about 27C, ph will be gradually raised from ph6 to ph 7. 5, so that I can sell them so that other buyers don't struggle adjusting their ph.

They are now off brineshrimp and happily munching their way through frozen foods at an alarming rate.
The main thing at this stage is putting the water changes in, they get about 15% every day
Graham
Have you had yours spawn in higher pH values or have they only spawned around ph6? Also I'm surprised that it's your females that outgrow the male's both my males are much bigger than any of the females. Having them in the 125 is definitely a different scene than either of the smaller tanks I had them in before, there is virtually no real agression with the exception of when I first reintroduced them all. I guess they have enough space for them to get along, we will see when they do form a pair. One of the females in particular has a very orange belly and is looking pretty plump. She's been trying to get all the male attention she can get. Fingers crossed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store