C. Regani "tapajos" possible spawning behavior

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Also Satanoperca3298 have you been able to move yours onto pellets?

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Jam toast,
please re read what I wrote, the females grew very quick and outgrew the males, although the males then got bigger and over took them.
yes, I've spawned C,regani in ph from 4ph through to 7ph. I and a friend found that the ph reading varied the sex ratio in the fry. If it was a low ph they spawned in, then more females occurred. The higher the ph the more male off spring there was.
Graham

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Jam toast,
please re read what I wrote, the females grew very quick and outgrew the males, although the males then got bigger and over took them.
yes, I've spawned C,regani in ph from 4ph through to 7ph. I and a friend found that the ph reading varied the sex ratio in the fry. If it was a low ph they spawned in, then more females occurred. The higher the ph the more male off spring there was.
Graham
Interesting. Makes me think back to when I grabbed these fish, the shop owner was telling me the shipment he got was mostly males. I don't know the exact collection point but I wonder if it's indicative of the pH where they were collected or if it's just coincidence.

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Yes, that's right. I was in a lfs the other week, and noticed they had just got in 20 C. Regani, I looked at them and found only 4 males, crazy isn't it, but I'm sure it's to do with the ph they are spawned in.

Pellet food ! Never used it. I feed all my pikes, and I have quite a few on frozen foods, it gets fine chopped for the little ones and the big ones get it whole. It's as cheap to feed as is dried foods, and they are carnivores.
Regards
graham

Reactions: jamntoast

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
For what it is worth, I have found my group of these will not spawn in a pair setting, only a group setting.

1st spawn- 5 fish in the tank, decided to remove the others and let the pair raise the young. After getting the others out, parents ate the free swimming fry. No problem, just wait a month or two and let them do it again, right? Months gone by and nothing. Moved the other three fish back to the tank with the pair.

2nd spawn- 5 days after the others were put back in the tank. I think the pair enjoys patrolling the tank and destroying the others. This time I left all of them in. Fry got to a week past free swimming and dissappeared. This has happened a few times now.

This could be from the small tank (40B), I think next time I separate them, I'll put them in tanks that are next to one another so they can still see the others. Might help?

Last edited:

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Double post... Hit quote and not edit.

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
Double post... Hit quote and not edit.
Yes I think it will help, if they are able to see other fish , who are competitors through the tank ends. I have 2 pairs of C.Compressiceps in the next tank, and they certainly give my C.regani something to think about.
I moved my fry away from the parents today and into a 48 x 12 x 18 " tank, there are 130 fry..They have grown to over 15 mm in 26 days from free swimming, pretty good.

Tommorow I will clean out the adults tank, and feed them up again.

My Crenicichla regani (barcelos) look about to spawn.

Reactions: softturtle

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
They seem to be consistent spawners when competition is around. Was just looking in the tank now and found this. I think this time, once they are wigglers, I'm taking them.

20160305_131653.jpg

Satanoperca3298

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2015
I think I would do the same, remove the wrigglers, then next time let the parents raise them. I've found my pair of regani to be excellent parents, although I missed a few (about 30) fry when moving them , they are still well cared for by the parents. My pair have 4 mid aged M.altispinosa in the tank with them, sometimes they get very close to the fry, but I've never seen them eat any , yet.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I'm still waiting on mine to spawn at all. I think I need to give them some better spots, the decoration is mostly large driftwood which creates a couple "caves" underneath but nothing where there is only one entrance. I don't think the geo tapajos make them nervous at all so I can't imagine that's the issue. My ladies are certainly looking more colourful and plumper, I was certain I would have had a pair guarding eggs somewhere. The goes have been spawning constantly so hopefully these regani get in on the buffet when the finally spit out some fry, maybe that will put them in the mood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store