Calcium Precipitation

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I do that. It's a pain. I thought maybe I could add something to the water. I don't understand why the Angelfish tank has it and the Blue Texas Cichlid Tank doesn't.
I don’t understand either why only some of my tanks get it and others don’t. Same water source. I have to use a razor but it really is annoying

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
My water is extremely hard. Lots of buildup in the sumps and top braces but otherwise algae is my biggest grief. Nothing like an acrylic tank in the sun. It's great if you are a masochist.

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
I have run into some deposits that seems impossible to remove either mechanically or chemically. Makes me suspect that in some cases the glass itself may be etched by the deposit.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I have run into some deposits that seems impossible to remove either mechanically or chemically. Makes me suspect that in some cases the glass itself may be etched by the deposit.
Yeah some of my rimless tanks seem to have permanent etching I can’t remove

CichlidFiend

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2007
i have the same problem, im on a well, and have been considering installing a water softener for the domestic use, but ive heard mixed things about water softeners for aquariums, was wondering if anyone has experience with water softeners for aquarium water
im also considering an RO unit
it is truly a pain spending time and energy on your aquariums just for that ugly calcium creep to show up and steal the spotlight

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I know this will not help with the removal of said calcium line. But I have seen on both rimmed tanks and rimless tanks a wrap of black tape along the top edge or just under the rim to hide the calcium water line. Yes it's still there, yes we still have to clean it, but it don't upset our viewing pleasure.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
i have the same problem, im on a well, and have been considering installing a water softener for the domestic use, but ive heard mixed things about water softeners for aquariums, was wondering if anyone has experience with water softeners for aquarium water
im also considering an RO unit
it is truly a pain spending time and energy on your aquariums just for that ugly calcium creep to show up and steal the spotlight
I have a whole house water softener and I still have the buildup. I also have an RO unit but it processes so little and creates so much waste water, it doesn’t make sense to fill my tanks with it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store