Calling all big tank builders, acrylic thickness question

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
When I was looking into what size acrylic I should use depending on the height of the tank I asked Tenecor what they used to get an idea. They said for 36" in height they used 1 inch thick acrylic and for 48 inches in height they used 1.25 inches. I would just call around and ask different manufacturers what they use and that should give you an idea of what should be appropriate.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have a 6 foot long 44 inch deep tank with 3/4 inch cell cast acrylic - no bowing. Well not that I can see, I'm sure it bowes a little if I put a laser on it or something?

I think if you use 3/4 inch for an 8 foot length and then brace it in the middle you will be fine, and your only looking at 36 inches deep so even more fine.

Acrylic is very strong, your not going to break it. Worst case you may get some bowing but it wont break.

You may have noticed acrylic calculators are developed by companies that sell acrylic..........

Use cell cast acrylic, 3/4" will be thick enough, I promise!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Any updates on this?

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
nope, LOL

I got that free 220 so this is postponed until the fishroom is restructed completely

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
msjinkzd,

A few things.

You don't want to drill into the acrylic. Any flex and you have disaster. Installing pins behind the acrylic through the angle to secure it would be a better idea.

3/4" would be fine if you're using 2" angle to frame it. Your window would be 32" viewable correct? Length doesn't matter that much.

Laird plastics is a great place to get your cell cast acrylic from. My 2" piece was only a couple hundred more than the 1.5" and a few hundred more than the 1.25" piece of the same size. 1" is probably about $100 more than 3/4" and definitely worth the price.

Check with Nationwide Plastics http://www.nationwideplastics.net/ and ACI Plastics http://www.aciplastics.com/ for price quotes first before you call Laird.

Be sure to verify the dimensions of the piece you order. I thought ordering a 48x96 piece meant I'd get a 48x96 piece and ended up with a 50x99 piece.

Framed windows can utilitize thinner acrylic/glass than windows that span unsupported distances.

The max I'd go with 1/2" would be 30", but that's still pushing it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store