Can African Cichlids live in marine water?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Like others have said, no.
I think I’ve heard of them making it a few weeks but at the end of the day it’s no different than a clown in freshwater - it just can’t work.

There are other cichlids with salt tolerance though. Many tilapia can survive in marine water, as well as black belt Vieja cichlids.
Then the convict blenny/engineer goby is actually neither a goby or blenny, but a cichliform!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It's not only about PH, you have to look at the total dissolved solid (TDS) levels. TDS affects the osmoregulatory function of the fish.
Agree
There are cichlids that come from saline/soda lakes such as Lake Natron in the rift where salinity is actually higher than the ocean, but even these species hang out where fish water streams enter the lake. And they are Tilapine that have evolved over millennia in order do adapt to those higher osmotic conditions.
Water temps are also up in the 90sF in those shallow saline lakes
Below is one species, spawning in my tank, Alcolapia alcalicus.
There is also a subspecies of Mayaheros uropthalmus that was separated from the mainland millions of years ago on Isla de Mujeres Mexico, and has adapted to full sea water and thrives in the mangrove.
I visited Isla Mujeres about a half dozen times in the late 80s, they had adapted more red color color than those in fresh water.
Below are the normal type, living in brackish water between the sea, and the Everglades
These adaptations did not happen overnight, perhaps only one or 2 in a spawn had the capability to withstand the salinity and lived to perpetuate the species into a viable population in the saline conditions, while all others died,

Last edited:

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Several African 'Tilapia" are routinely grown anywhere from freshwater to brackish to full saltwater as food fish.
"Tilapia" rendalli, mossambicus, and niloticus are some that come to mind.

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Several African 'Tilapia" are routinely grown anywhere from freshwater to brackish to full saltwater as food fish.
I was surprised when I first saw breeding colonies of tilapia cichlids here at the beach (Dubai - water is 37ppt). Especially in mid summer when the ocean temps hit 34 degrees. They are remarkably resilient fish.

Reactions: Deadeye

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Yep. I have observed tilapia in the local mangroves and even in the open sea. Likely escapees from the floating fish farms or "kelongs".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store