Can African Cichlids live in marine water?

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
This is just a random thought, but can African cichlids live in marine water? Im asking this because African cichlids live in water with pH that is the same as marine water.
I’ve actually seen a video of Africans with marine fish

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
This is just a random thought, but can African cichlids live in marine water? Im asking this because African cichlids live in water with pH that is the same as marine water.
This might answer this somewhat, we don’t know how long they’ll live but they don’t look distressed

Joshuakahan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Several African 'Tilapia" are routinely grown anywhere from freshwater to brackish to full saltwater as food fish.
"Tilapia" rendalli, mossambicus, and niloticus are some that come to mind.
Tilapia used to live in the salton sea which has a much higher salt content than the ocean

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
There is (was?) an additive from GEO Liquid that allowed many freshwater species to live in marine salt alongside marine species. GEO Liquid is a Japanese company and had several displays going at multiple public aquariums.

Haven't seen it being used for many years though.

Reactions: Joshuakahan

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
This might answer this somewhat, we don’t know how long they’ll live but they don’t look distressed

Jeez I think I even saw a blood parrot in there…
I don’t know who I feel worse for, the cichlids (and low brackish fig 8 puffer) doomed to die in the salt, or the salt fish forced to live their lives in such an unnatural setup (considering just about all of them more or less depend on reefs…or at least a proper fowlr setup… to survive).

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I found this video awhile back
In all seriousness most of those fish are most likely dead now but from my understanding they mixed saltwater and freshwater fish in a brackish tank. Many of the fish look stressed and sick. What’s even more shocking is that this is a public aquarium.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I found this video awhile back
In all seriousness most of those fish are most likely dead now but from my understanding they mixed saltwater and freshwater fish in a brackish tank. Many of the fish look stressed and sick. What’s even more shocking is that this is a public aquarium.
I could tell from the start this would be bad…but when they labeled it “percula crown” and then called a diamond angelfish a salt fish…
And man all of those freshwater fish are on death’s door.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I could tell from the start this would be bad…but when they labeled it “percula crown” and then called a diamond angelfish a salt fish…
And man all of those freshwater fish are on death’s door.
The gar when the flounder starts moving under it had me dying

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
It’s honestly disgusting that people planned that and then opened it up to the public they knew what they were doing
Such big and gorgeous koi stuck in that tank. The people in the aquarium look like they’re from some part of Asia. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t koi a huge part of almost all Asian cultures. How do they let this happen

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store