Can pond liners, think glass, etc. be used in building plywood tank?

Cichlidlove4all

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
North Carolina
where can i get pond liners that are safe for fish to use in a plywood tank? and what are we talking about pricewise? also does anyone know good plywood tank schematics? i mean a good solid tank structure

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
I beleive I got my liner from justliners.com I ordered a 15x10 and I think it was 95$ shipped. I got 100 ss bolts, 100ss washers, 100 washers and 100 nuts for 45 shipped from justbolts.com I beleive.

toffee

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2006
Texas
By the look of it, just a plywood-liner-polycarbonate sandwich pressed very tight by screws placed couple of inches apart.

Looks like I can copy this approach and make use of my liner.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
I use Marine 5200 adhesive/ sealant inbetween the acrylic and pond liner for my seal. Then just use the bolts to keep the window there.

evil_cricket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
Amherstburg Ontario
that tank with a pond liner looks amazing, i wasnt sure if it could be done but now that i know it can i might do something like that.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Personally seen a LOT of threaded fasteners used with acrylic windows lead to cracks in the windows. It can be done, but there are some important things to remember:

1) Oversize the hole slightly so there is a bit of room for the plastic to grow with temp change.

2) Use large headed cap screws or smooth fender washers under the head of the screw. NEVER use countersunk (flat head) screws with acrylic.

3) You want your screws to squeeze the acrylic against the liner, and hold it in place by friction between the large screw head and the liner. You do NOT want the screw to be preloaded against the side of it's screwhole (hence the oversized hole).

Lots of people get away with surprising things with acrylic but the fact of the matter is it varies in hardness and toughness from batch to batch, and it is known to crack when subjected to extended local stresses (Like screws).

I'm also curious - how are the screws themselves sealed so that water cannot seep down the threads and into the wood, since the screws go through the liner.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
That Koi tank looks awesome BTW. Bit overbuilt for my taste, but very clean and well put together.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
For what I do with the screws is coat them in 3m 5200 then once all bolts are in I completely cover the heads and washers with 3m 5200.

I did it like this on my 180gal, and plan to do the same to my 270gal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store